Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hyperion FTR's

After what seems an absolute age I have been able to get outside with my scope and all acutriments which include the Hyperion ftr's. They are a brilliant idea, as making the eyepieces modular gives you greater flexibility and is also a damn site cheaper than having to buy new eyepieces all the time. £12/£15 each is a hell of a lot better than £95 for a whole new eyepiece. I originally started off with the 14mm and was very impressed. The difference in magnification was quite marked. So I thought I would buy the 28mm one (which arrived the other day). Well tonight was the first opportunity to test drive this one. Another great value addition to any Hyperion owners armory. Yes, the 28mm gave an even greater magnification than the 14 (obviously), and still worked very well in all departments. Easy to attach as well. I even tried linking them together mearly for the hell of it and see what happened. It was total overkill I know, but it certainly brough Mars and Saturn closer than I have ever seen them before (even if they were a little fuzzy).

FTRs for the win :(

I know Hyperions have their limitations when it comes to fast telescopes, but to my mind the FTRs really make them stand out in the market compared to other popular EPs like BSTs or X-cel LXs. The ability to tweak my EPs with the FTRs means I can get the very best view of a target the seeing conditions will allow. Only recently I was observing Saturn with my 13mm showing lots of detail so I thought I could push the mag higher, but my 8mm was that bit too much. The ideal combination was the 13mm + 14FTR - lovely shadow from the planet and sharp Cassini :)

I felt it did slightly change the "characteristics" of the unadulterated Hyperion. :(

But, in these times of austerity, I might make more USE of extension tubes!

They are certainly useful in deciding WHAT focal length you actually need...

Hey twotter. Seeing Cassini would be fantastic. I do know that I doubt if I would ever see see it with my scope due to it's limitations, but am considering getting a C9.25 in the not too distant future and the Hyperions will work great with that.

Dunk, Have considered the Hyperion Zoom, but everytime I think that I am going to get one something seems to stop me. They are a fantastic thing and for the sake of convienience they are excellent, but the fact that their fov at 24mm is'nt the same as the fixed, 68 degrees put me off. In anycase I had already got the fixed focal length 24mm Hyperion by that time, so there was little point in doubling up the sizes. The money that I would save on getting a Hyperion Zoom i'll put towards my new scope.

Hey Malc - I'd say you have every chance of seeing the division with the 127, it's just a question of conditions (the eternal challenge!). I've seen it a couple of times with the 6 and reckon the 127 has got to be its equal. If it clears tonight I might just try :(

Mine might be glued on as I've not had a problem with them so far.

I do have a cheaper 8-24mm zoom which I bought prior to getting my first Hyperion, when I was still using my plossls. My idea was to see if got on with a zoom and if I did then I could see about saving for a better one. I agree with M4lc though, convenient but the narrow FOV at 24mm puts me off. The cost of the Hyperion zoom is also an issue for me too.

I'd love a C9.25...now if I can just remember where I put that lottery ticket... :(

Agree the rubber eyecap is a pain, but to me it's thre price I pay for having the T ring adapter thread under there. As that was part of the reason I choose the Hyp it's a price I am happy to ap, but if I didn't need the camera attachment I'd find it really annoying.

Archived