Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altair Astro 10x60 mini guider package

swag72

I recently purchased a mini guider package from Altair Astro. The finder is here and the guider part of the package can be found here. It worked out a little on the expensive side but there was a couple of issues with my kit as it was.

It arrived next day postage from AA and was well packaged. I had no problem getting hold of AA in the initial stages and they answered all my questions and helped me make sure I picked the right bits.

Putting it all together was interesting as I had no idea how these things work. I was a little reticent to unscrew everything, but soon worked out that was what was needed! My initial thoughts were that it seemed a sturdy and well built piece of kit that should assist in eliminiating flexure as well as making sure my guider was pointing at the same part of the sky as the imaging scope.

Fitting it on the scope was no problem. The right angled illuminated eyepiece allows for a comfortable viewing poistion when searching for the alignment stars and the rings had more than enough play in them to be able to get the alignment star central in the cross hairs when it was central on my camera chip on the imaging scope.

There is a rotating mechanism at the base of the finder so that you can move the eyepiece if it is in the way or at an odd angle. I did find that when I rotated this the alignment star did not stay in the middle of the cross hairs and it did move slightly. It wasn't hard to recentre it, but I decided early on that I'd not bother rotating it again.

In order to get the guider on you need to unscrew the diagonal at the base of the finder and screw in the long focusing tube. My worry at this stage was that all of this unscrewing would move the guider in the rings, but thankfully it stayed solid. My only issue with the focusing tube was that I didn't know how to focus it. But again some heavy handed unscrewing of everything that looked like it would unscrew found me the locking mechanism to focus the guide camera.

I set Maxim to guider focuser and just ran that on continuous while I watched the FHWM of a selected star in my fov. When happy, locked it all up with the locking screw and that is that.

So far, it's guiding well and I have no issue with how it works. My camera is a QHY5 and focus was fine

Yes an expensive piece of kit, but it means I only need one finder / guider and also it's nice and tight, which was an issue I had with my previous set up. I would have liked to see the addition of some instructions on what to unscrew etc, but most people would probably be happy without them.

I have just been asked the weight of this, so with the kitchen scales out I can add the following!

Complete guider setup (without camera) - 788g

Complete finder setup (including eyepiece illuminator) 941g

This does not include the extra bracket that was included for the foot of the finder / guider as it is a SW fit. But if you do need that, it weighs an extra 36g.

• 1 year later...

liking your review!!! im the same as you i dont know what all the bits and bobs do lol, ive only ever had a SW 9x50 finder till now lol, dont suppose you have come across any online manuals for this kit have you? i cant find anything

ive figured out all the pieces, at 1st it looks quite daunting but its all rather simple when you know where things go and what they do, its one lush bit of kit and could not be happier!  :D

and i love how you can swap over from finder to guider with out even troubling the focus on the guider :) again im in love with it, just need a mount now

Archived