Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

sRGB or AdobeRGB That is the question.

Cloudwatcher

Checking through the images taken earlier this week I couldn't help but notice that the colours appeared rather more 'intense' and even less 'life like' than usual. Don't get me wrong,I like good colour in a photograph but in an 'Astro' image I tend to see more pastel shades as appropriate to the subject.

Anyway, I realised that I had not reset the 350D to the AdobeRGB mode prior to the imaging session and that all the images were sRGB. That made me wonder what settings are used/preferred by others Members who use the Canon for imaging. I would be interested in your choice of mode and views on the merits,advantages or otherwise of each.

The attached is an image of, what I hope is M29,where the Auto Colour function in PS has been applied and the stars that aren't 'burned out' certainly have a healthy complexion!

CW

(click to enlarge)

I can't help you with the colour selection for your camera CW. That is M29, and it is very purty, although the NGC description has it as "Poor, and little compressed, bright and faint stars". I don't think that could be said of this image. Also, if most of the objects in the catalogue were re examined with the equipment available today, most of the descriptions would need to be modified.

I do like to see colours in images, but only if they are indicative of the temperatures, and Emission or Reflection Nebula.

A little enhancement to these natural states can be desirablle as long as it is not overdone.

Ron. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Got to agree guys, not a huge fan of "overcooked" images. I like to see natural colours in widefield pics, but to be honest I prefer images like Rog's B&W ones. To my amateur eyes they look fantastic.

BTW nice pic CW, but I've a Nikon so I can't help with the settings,

Jonathen

I used to give a talk on the merits of sRGB v Adobe RGB to camera clubs. In short:

They are both 'colour spaces' and determine the range of colours recorded in the image. Most computer monitors are capable of showing a colour set similar to those contained in the sRGB colour space. Better cameras are able to shoot in Adobe RGB which has a larger colour set than sRGB but better than average monitors and printers are necessary if we are to appreciate the benefits.

For regular day-to-day pix sRGB is fine but for critical work or where accuracy is important (sRGB tends to have exaggerated saturation) then Adobe RGB is the better choice.

HTH

Thank you Steve for that succinct explanation. I can see why you would be asked to give talks on such things. I hadn't thought of the monitor and printer aspects prior to reading your post. :shock:

I have used sRGB once, by mistake,for astro work which gave rise to my original post. Thinking about it though might it not be worth using it for things like nebulae shots? Would the colour saturation be helpful or not?

Thanks again

CW

Archived