Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Get a planisphere

I was introduced to the concept of using a planisphere at a talk at an astronomy society open evening. If you are new to all this then getting one of these inexpensive gizmos will help you to learn what's in the sky during your stargazing sessions allowing you to identify the constellations in preparation for a bit of star hopping. But even better than that you can plan what will be visible at the time you plan to be outside, which means you can decide what it is that you want to find before you find yourself immersed in darkness.

The concept is simple. No batteries or setting up. Plastic and fairly resistant to abuse.

Totally agree. You can point mobile phones at stars and, marvel of marvels, they tell you what the star is. Hold a planisphere up to the sky and it also tells you what all the other stars are! To mind mind that's incomparably more useful. While in the states I found a very big one by David Levy. It is getting ratty now which is a shame because it's great to see in the dark.

Olly

i,ve just bought a planisphere, even though i use my iPhone's star map pro, the idea of using this instead appeals more as theres no batteries or gizmos so won't go wrong! and if i drop it , i,m not £450 poorer !!

Also, even though apps like Starwalk etc are fantastic, the screen can still be very bright even if set to red mode (unless the brightness is turned down) and then theres the point where you need to get to the app and the display is nice and bright and white LOL

I love the astro apps but I'm coming round to thinking a planasphere and red torch are better for the night viewing. Ordered one and just waiting for it to arrive now :)

For a quick whizz around the sky though I love Starwalk and Sky Safari :)

The point is that when you want to plan to find a specific object in the sky and you're new to all this, then the planisphere gives you an illustration of where it will be and what's near it etc at a specific time and date. It's just so easy. So once you've become familiar with one constellation that you can easily locate you can use that as a landmark. Then all you need to do is to use the landmark as a point of reference on the planisphere and then plot where in the sky that object you want to find really is. Then as you get more confident you can really get into this star hopping lark.

my planisphere is my favourite tool for learning the constellations , one of the best fivers I've spent

Exactly, forget all the whizzy computer stuff. Just a red torch, scope, sky and planisphere. Go and explore the universe.

It's nearly summer. Break out the wine cooler!

Sent from my GT-I9100

:) well played... Also gives you an excuse to flop on your back and gaze at the sky (what the others don't know is that you are just perfecting your averted vision techniques )....:)

Archived