NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starry Landscape, Wales.

Took this image on my recent trip to Lake Vyrnwy, Wales.

My computer HDD broke whilst there and so It's been awhile to try and recover my images and get this posted :)

Anyway It was a great trip with one really clear night...managed to try out my new (old) 28mm prime lens for this one (or maybe it was the 50mm?) Cant remember from all the excitement at the time! ;)

Pretty sure this was taken at F4 and 2-3minute exposures for a total of just 17mins.

Canon EOS 1000D unguided but tracked on HEQ-5 PRO.

I pushed this image quite abit and really enhanced the colours...but I kind of like it all the same :D

Hope you guys like it!

post-22913-133877776274_thumb.jpg

Ahhh, Lake Vyrnwy...another wonderful place I visit on a regular basis - daytime activities such as bird watching & hiking...

I probably know the answer to his already, but what are the night skies like to the human eye? :)

You said it was a trip - if you don't mind me asking, where did you stay? I'd like to get up there and see what those skies are like.

Thanks for the kind comments :)

@Beulah - This is where I stayed

http://www.lakevyrnwycottages4u.co.uk/

An incredible little cottage just off a path on the hair pin bend about 1 mile from the lake.... The image was actually taken from there just outside the conservatory! The landlady is called Diane and she couldn't be any more of a perfect host!

It is really good views the the naked eye! Crisp sharp and very bright stars!.... when there are clouds they are very hard to see! almost black its kind of strange.... Going to try and book there for August when the milky way is over head, I bet it is really stunning!

And like you said plenty to do around the lake in the day, lots of wildelife, walks and some incredible waterfalls... Can't wait to get back there!

Ste.

I live just down the road from Vyrnwy. The skies are very good - when they're clear, which is unfortunately fairly rare. I tend to refer to that part of Wales as England's cloud factory. Although having said that, I live on the other side of it and it's still pretty bad here most of the time!

when there are clouds they are very hard to see! almost black its kind of strange.... Going to try and book there for August when the milky way is over head, I bet it is really stunning!

Black clouds- that's the sign of of good dark sky site, when you can't tell where the sky starts and the hills finish!

Nice image- do you have a less 'pushed' version? It would also be worth sending some images to the cottage website. You never know- they might use them in their adverts!

I'm currently working with the Mid Wales tourist office regarding promoting the dark sky potentional of the area. It's early days but I think they will be including 'stargazing' as an activity on the Visit Wales website shortly.

I'm currently working with the Mid Wales tourist office regarding promoting the dark sky potentional of the area. It's early days but I think they will be including 'stargazing' as an activity on the Visit Wales website shortly.

Excellent, I've long thought it's a Welsh resource that's being well overlooked. There are some excellent darksites here and they should be used!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived