Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unidentified Object 23.59 16th May Space Junk ?

Whilst out observing last night with my grab n go 76mm Mini dob I was panning round towards Mars from the South and picked up an object moving quickly from South South West to North West at about 50 degrees elevation.

I tracked it for about 60 seconds , it passed close to Mars and I lost it behind the neighbours house when due North West.

I tracked back on Stellarium but could find no Satellites in that area.

It was not a plane and it is not the first object I have seen over the past few nights that I cannot find on Stellarium or other Satellite sites.

Space Junk maybe ?

Paul

I think I saw this as well, same heading, similar height and just before mid-night. Only followed it for c. 5-10 secs (in 10x50 bins - just a light point, no detail). Assumed it was a satellite, and didn't bother checking Stellarium.

I think I saw this as well, same heading, similar height and just before mid-night. Only followed it for c. 5-10 secs (in 10x50 bins - just a light point, no detail). Assumed it was a satellite, and didn't bother checking Stellarium.

I too initially dismissed it as a satellite but can fine no reference to it ?

Will have to have a look tonight (weather permitting) to see if it has a regular orbit.

Paul

Stellarium has very few of the satellites that are up there in it's database. There are hundreds of satellites and other junk up there.

Indeed, and there is me thinking they were all on Stellarium , although it would be good to know how many are actually on the programme.

Best figures I could find are

satellite-quick-facts.gif

and this does not include damaged or decommissioned units.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Archived