Attacting eyepiece to telescope

Im new to telescopes just bought a second hand one and have no manual for it.

I have the eyepieces and bits bit how do you put them together to view the stars.

I have a screw ring, then a longer one then barlow then eyepiece, what order do you put them in?

PLEASE someone help! :)

There should be a focuser which is a tube, usually with one or more thumb screws on it and with some sort of mechanism to move the tube in and out.

Into that goes your eyepiece; should only fit one way :-)

Not sure what the "screw ring, then a longer one" really means! Can you post a photo?

Once you've got used to using the scope with the eyepiece you can then try the barlow. The barlow goes between the eyepiece and the focuser.

HTH!

There may be a 2" to 1.25" converter 'tube' that inserts into the focuser (If it's a 2" focuser), the 1.25" eyepiece fits into this.

If using a barlow, this goes in first and the eyepiece fits into the end of the barlow.

What scope is it?

Im new to telescopes just bought a second hand one and have no manual for it.

I have the eyepieces and bits bit how do you put them together to view the stars.

I have a screw ring, then a longer one then barlow then eyepiece, what order do you put them in?

PLEASE someone help! :)

What scope have you brought?

Knowing that will make it easier to advise you

Mark

Hi and welcome to SGL

It sounds like you have either a refractor (long tube, glass at one end, eyepiece at the other) or a compound scope of some sort (short tube, glass and mirror config).

The order should be:

Star diagonal / erecting prism - this is the triangular connector. Metel end in the scope, plastic end with screws pointing upright.

Barlow lens - this can either be a long or short tube with a metal part that fits into the star diagonal and a wider end with the screws. You don't always need this accessory so can leave it off.

Eyepiece - probably 1.25 inch fitting. Metal end goes into star diagonal, lens end may have a rubber ring around the eyepiece, leave down if you wear glasses, leave up to get full effect of the view.

Move focus dial in or out until the object being observed is pin sharp. On a refractor these will look like plastic or metal 'bolts' underneath the main tube. On a compound scope this will usually be a single dial on the back of the scope next to the eyepiece arrangement.

HTH!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies I'd managed to see moon clearly other day but when used Barlow x2 it brought image of moon up closer but I could not seem to get any focus on it, I used a plossl 25mm AF40. Oh the telescope is a Seben big boss 150.

This sometimes happens with a Barlow, to get the best out them you need quite a good quality one, the Seben Barlow, if that is the case, is unfortunately not the best quality, also, it takes time too get used to using them. The Barlow also pushes the eye-relief out, sometimes double, so it doesn't always hit the sweet spot of your pupil, so eye placement is critical.

Thanks for the replies I'd managed to see moon clearly other day but when used Barlow x2 it brought image of moon up closer but I could not seem to get any focus on it, I used a plossl 25mm AF40. Oh the telescope is a Seben big boss 150.

The Seben 150/1400 has some optical deficiencies which means it produces slightly soft images at high powers. This review http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/telescopes/visionary-mira-ceti-150-1400 is of the same telescope under a different brand name.

Peter

If that is the same telescope then a Barlow is already built into the focuser, which gives it the extra focal length, these types of built in Barlows are usually of poor quality, and it also makes it impossible to collimate using the Cheshire as the Barlow lens gets in the way, not a good combination in my view and unfortunately you will not achieve focus if you ramp up the magnification.

Archived