Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cleaning filters and UV-IR

well my UV-IR cut filter from scope and skys turned up, but i have a problem.

soon as i unwrapped the filter i found it covered in a sticky type of gunk, the metal ring is all sticky to the touch ( dust magnet comes to mind), But even worse, this gunk is all over the lens.

cost me £23 for this filter but i feel i paid £23 for just a 1.25" sticky piece of metal, with someone else fingerprints over it. yes thats right if i had the right kit i could lift someone else fingerprint from the lens it is that bad. also looks like someone has already tried to clean it before it was vac packed (factory side)

i need advice on what household product i can use to clean this rubbish off the filter.

please help i have spent 5 days waiting for this filter ( ordered friday arrived wednesday), am angry and stressed that my day is now spent looking on how to correct the problem :)

First off I would send it back :)

Secondly if you want to keep and clean it, invest in some Baader Optical Wonder Fluid and follow the instructions that come with it. Great stuff for cleaning optics.

I would not recommend anything household other than distilled (not deionised!) water ... with maybe (double check me on this one) a few drops of washing up liquid (but sure it's rinsed fully off with pure distilled water.)

it is even worse than i have said

filter glass is not seated level in the filtering ring, plastic ring holding the filter in place ( my moon filter was the same then it got dropped and exploded) , that means no way of getting glass out. the plastic ring is push fitted into the threaded filter body. glass has more streaks than something you would see in the TATE art gallery lol.

the worse thing, i paid £23 for this, i will not be buying filters from this place no more full stop, and will stay well clear of the wording astro enginering to :)

thank you stephen, going to leave it for today already a big let down.

the company skys and scopes have been good so far.

just astro enginering has let me down on quality control.

will wait till my other astro spares turn up and see if i can fix the problem. also going to wash the filter with distilled water and a shot of fairy liquid.

come to think of it i have a cleaning kit for my canon dlsr gear and glass.

being high optical quality glass in the lens would you say the cleaning agent would be safe to use with astro filters / UV-IR, would save the trip to the store for distilled water and or need for baaders cleaning liquid.

send it back lol took 5 days to get here, i rather stuff up £23 myself than refund and trying to source another at that price. i cleaned my dust ridden webcam Cmos am sure with careful fingers and gentle work i could get the lens clean and maybe re-seated correct. the filter glass should be flat mine looks like this /

My first step would be to contact the supplier.and let them know (they have possibly recieved this product packaged and had no idea of the problem). give them a chance to sort it out. I understand your anger/disapointment but they really do need the chance to rectify their mistake.

Fixed it

first i kind of dropped it onto a softish worn carpet, thoughts in my head were " what the heck do i have to loose " lol. after dropping the glass became loose'ish so with glasses cloth in hand, i gave the lens a little push.

now the internal holding ring was free enough for the filter glass to be moved so it lay flat. i reseated the lens this way, then seated the internal ring. Seating this was easy as pie. i used one of my second hand green filters and screwed this onto the UV/IR, as it was slowly turned it forced down the holding ring onto the filter glass nice and snug.

gave it a good clean with distilled water and a drip of good old fairy liquid. 4 rinses with distilled water and left to air dry, any other dust was gently removed with glasses cleaning cloth.

jobs a goodun :)

Archived