Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M27 : Dumbell Nebula : First Attempt

coxy322

Hey again,

I shot two targets last night, one was M51 (shown on other thread) and this the M27 Dumbell. Might like to revisit this for another attempt when it gets higher in the sky later in the summer.

7189565606_aa8be4b1ab_b.jpg

10x 45s @ ISO 1600

17x 30s @ ISO 800

1x 29s @ ISO 1600

1x 21s @ ISO 1600

No Darks

No Flats

No Bias

Skywatcher 200p

Canon 1100D

No Guiding

Any comments, as always, are much appreciated!

Ash

Nice capture and well framed, the stars look a little odd to me though perhaps a result of over processing?

Is there a particular reason behind the mix of ISO's and exposure times? I dont think its overly dynamic so could stick with longer exposure time and whatever ISO you prefer.

Nice capture and well framed, the stars look a little odd to me though perhaps a result of over processing?

Is there a particular reason behind the mix of ISO's and exposure times? I dont think its overly dynamic so could stick with longer exposure time and whatever ISO you prefer.

No particular reason, I am still learning AP and getting to grips with limiting factors such as LP for ISO limits and my crude alignment/low spec EQ5 for tracking on exposures. Having taken a lot of data I just stacked all the best images I could. This is my first attempt at this object and really only my 4th or 5th suubject in AP.

I took this batch of frames following the M51 in the other thread and so it was getting late - I'll definately go for a more structured plan next time.

A

Its always worth a play Ash, I'm glad you took my comments in the spirit I meant them as I dont mean to sound to harsh. Like yourself really just a beginner in the dark art of AP, your M51 looks great and I think you probably could go back to the procesing to improve on this one.

Good job :)

I appreciate any guidance, advice, tips, critisms etc - otherwise I might not really get all that better!

Is this a good starting point? This was my "quick" process that I did when I got home at 3am.... Obviously the colour is a lot different, also maybe stacked different set of subs.

7185443264_3aa1a8c70d_b.jpg

When I can spare the time later I'll have a further shot at it...

yeah its gone now did you take it off or move it around in flickr? anyhow I did see it before it went and afraid I have to agree with Gina the second one was best third attempt lost a lot of detail in the target itself

Taken it off - left with just the best one of the three. It was a lesser quality image as I think the darks ruined it? Am chuffed that this preferred image was the quickly processed one that I did after getting home from the shooting.

It's strange as you can easily go off on a tangent with the processing, especially when trying to learn through experimentation with so many different sliders to adjust :)

Thanks for the comments guys. Hopefully you'll see some more examples of the new objects that I attempt - as ever I will warmly welcome any comments.

So, who's out imaging or observing tonight then?!

Ash

LP is not too bad, 1600 ISO is pushing it in my garden though. I have been up to a dark sky site with my old man a couple of times now, ISO 1600 is fine up there.

Am still trying to get better polar alignment. Of the 5x 75 second shots I took of M51 the other night only one of them really looked any good, maybe two if you are not too fussy. Average tends to hover between 30 & 45 seconds, I seem to get much higher success there... Do we need to collimate our polar scopes inside the mount at all?

LP is not too bad, 1600 ISO is pushing it in my garden though. I have been up to a dark sky site with my old man a couple of times now, ISO 1600 is fine up there.

Am still trying to get better polar alignment. Of the 5x 75 second shots I took of M51 the other night only one of them really looked any good, maybe two if you are not too fussy. Average tends to hover between 30 & 45 seconds, I seem to get much higher success there... Do we need to collimate our polar scopes inside the mount at all?

Yes, you must.

Archived