Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So that's what all the fuss is about!

Owing to bad weather and problems with my new MAK (which has now gone back) I haven't had a chance to veiw Saturn properly. Last night was the first clear night in my neck of the woods for what seems like a light year so out came the 70mm refractor and I went through the motions of lining up Saturn with the 20mm EP not expecting much, I wasn't wrong, a nice yellow/orange elongated blob of reflected light but that was it. I then popped in the stock Celestron 10mm EP which we all know is not the best and there it was, still a bit fuzzy but I could see the iconic shape and after a little time at the EP Saturn revealed itself in slightly more detail and I have to admit I got a little choked.

I now can't wait for the MAK to arrive, I had a taster and just want more.

Yep seems ages since we had clear skies. I only tried Saturn and it was odd in a way as I had problems getting a really crisp image with my 150dob and a 12mm plus barlow. Every now and then though just for a few second it would clear and I could see either banding or more likely the shadow of the rings on the planet surface. Thought I could make out cassini too. At least 3 moons also. I didnt wait for the scope to cool down so that maybe why the problem.

Yes, good clear night last night, my first view of Saturn this year, caught two moons, Titan and Rhea, my first sighting of Rhea, the moon with a crater called Inktomi, and is nicknamed "The Splat", didn't see that of course, moons' just a dot, like Jupiter's moons, overjoyed at first sighting I have to say. Using the C100ED-R (f/9) with 8mm (112x) BST Explorer.

Congratulations on finally being able to get out there and to be able to DO some observing. It was a very clear night last night and along with many here, I too was able to catch up with some familiar objects and to explore some new ones. Lets hope you can get some clear skies on the Mak's return, as they are particularly effective on planets and the moon.

James

Archived