Baader Hyperion 21mm or 24mm? Or something else?

Hi Folk

I need to buy a first eyepiece for a F4.8 Newt (250 mm, 1200 focal length) and the Baader Hyperion range was recommended to me by a local astronomer. Having read as much as I can find in the net it seems that these eyepieces are quite good but some have commented on their limitations in fast scopes. Yet others have said that the 21 mm is much better than the 24 mm in a f4.8 scope.

I was hoping that someone might be using one of these eyepieces in a fast scope and could tell me whether I'd be better of spending more on a Vixen or Televue Panoptics eyepiece. Its quite a bit more of course and I'm starting out so the Ethos etc are really out of my budget.

Thanks in advance

I have a couple of Hyperions and they are giving me excellent results with my 127SLT. In fact when I got my 24mm, I was amazed at the results. Admittedly I had only had the stock ep to compare it to, but I am sold on Hyperions now. I love the 68 degree fov. I have had limited experience with my 10mm due to the fact that the weather has been lously since I go it, but I intend to get outside with it tonight if the weather holds.

One thing to remember though. The Hyperions are of a modular design and by adding fine tuning rings to the eyepiece you can change the focal length, therefore giving you an additional eyepiece for the price of a ftr. The 24mm however CANNOT use them for whatever reason, so I would bear this in mind. As a standalone eyepiece however I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

As a footnote, the 127 SLT is a fast scope and I don't have any problems with the Hyperions, in fact there are quite a few people on SGL who have Hyperion, 127 SLT combinations.

? - the 127 SLT is a 'slow' scope at f11.8, so the Hyperion will be fine.

At f4.8 it will be a bit fuzzy round the edges.

If you don't mind dropping to 60° fov then the Celestron X-Cel LX is much better.

F4.8 can be very demanding on eyepieces unless you are willing to spend a lot more.

I have a couple of Hyperions - the visual quality is pretty good but I can't say I'm overly enamoured with the rubber eye piece cups but I'm living with it. This apart they should be a fine choice and as Malc says by adding the FTRs you can increase the range of focal lengths for a few quid more. - good luck with your choice

Steve

Thanks for the replies.

I got the impression that some of the Hyperions were better than others in terms of clarity from edge to edge. Just looked up the celestron which is 1/2 the price of the Hyperiion but seems to be mainly recommend for planetry viewing? What about Vixen LVW22? That is just about within my budget.

I have just noticed that most of the hyperion reviews are a few years old and one of the more recent ones mentioned that the design of the 21 mm EP had been improved.

If you can get a LVW, they are superb. A bit on the chunky side, but excellent optics and usable eye relief. I say usable because a lot of long eye relief eyepieces suffer from blackouts, whereas the LVW is very comfortable to use no matter where you put your eye.

Thanks Mr Spock

They are a bit more expensive but I can't help think that this is the size EP I'll priobably use most, so why compromise and get a cheaper one I'll not end up hanging on to. From what I can find, they have better clarity over their entire FOV than some of the cheaper ones, Hyperions included...unless they have improved as mentioned earlier. Still, I don't know what I'm talking about having used none of them!!:clouds2:

Cheers

Richard

I sense the Hyperions are essential LVW clones - Except precisely for the 21mm & 24mm. <G> Both these have rather different internal optics. I built a set based on the classic: 5, 8, 13, 21mm. Now contemplating a more minimalist: 10, 17, 31mm (Aspheric).

With my scopes (MAK150, 8"/F4 Newt), I find little use for the 5mm, the 8mm is a "bit high" magnification for my MAK. The (newer) 10mm suits most of my purposes better. The 17mm (I believe!) follows the LVW pattern and is a nice [iMO] eyepiece - The smallest / lightest "classic" Hyperion too... :clouds2:

Personal choice, but with increased experience, I realised I didn't need an eyepiece for every conceivable (LOL) focal length and scope type comes into this as well. Looking to the genuine LVW24 seems an idea. One day, maybe, I'll get me a Pan35... Ethos 17/21 (the latter unlikely, but!). The range 21-24mm is not an easy choice. :icon_scratch:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences. I think, from these comments, and those of others I have seen, at this stage I'm probably going to opt for the Vixen 22mm - seems to be universally liked in fast scopes. I'll have to sort out a 10 to 12 mm and a 2x barlow to give a range that can be used for planetry observation and would cover most things for a year or two...till I can aford an Ethos or something similar.

Cheers from down under

Richard

+1 for the Vixen LVW series, brilliant ep's. I only have the 13mm but fancy the 22mm. I have the 24mm Hyperion and it's a bit mushy in the outer 20% at f/5, plus I don't like the rubber eyecups, they come loose far too easily. But they have great benefits in faster scopes.

Honestly, if I hadn't already got 22mm and 17mm T4 Naglers, I would get the 22 and 17 LVWs, that's how much I like them.

Pity there isn't a 10mm, that would be perfection for me :)

I've tried the 13 mm Hyperion on an f/5 scope. Terrible idea: loads of astimatism around the outer half of the field. If you have a slow scope those may be good eyepieces, but for fast Newts they aren't an option.

Thanks again for all the input. What a helpful group. Looks like almost unanimous for the Vixens! Time to place an order!

I'll look at the X-Cel as an option for the higher mag lens along with a barlow in the next order. Its also much cheaper than the Hyperion!

Cheers

Richard

I'm importing the Vixen from the US as it isn't available in NZ (as far as I can see) but I asked about the X-Cel and the reply was they can't send those from the US (or meade and a couple of others). Not sure why some can be exported and some not, maybe an arrangement with local suppliers as they are generally a lot cheaper in the US (even including airfreight and tax).

So, I'll probably get an 8mm TV Plossl for planets and a TV barlow.

Cheers

Richard

Archived