NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

.mov to .avi

My Nikon D3100 DSLR has a video function but it outputs in dot mov format.

Registax and AstroStakker don't do .mov files.

I've found plenty of converters on downloads cnet but I have no idea which of them will convert without any loss of data.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

I have used Movavi Video converter for that. No noticeable loss of data with my D5100. If you are recording your movie in HD, Registax won't import the coverted avi either. Too big a file, I think, but I haven't tried AstroStack.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Hi I use AVS Video Converter 8.1 its on offer at the moment for a lifetime many PC license.

Just tried it. It did a playable conversion - but Registax won't open it.

My camera produces a video in .mov that's bigger than 640x480 - is that what's causing the problem with registax?

My camera produces a video in .mov that's bigger than 640x480 - is that what's causing the problem with registax?

Might depend on the codec being used for the .avi file.

WinFF - free, simple to use, converts pretty much anything into anything.

http://winff.org/html_new/

OK... Registax showed a preview so I clicked on open. It seems to be VERY slow loading and in fact has hung on frame 3 of 781 with zero response anywhere but no clues whatsoever of wtf the thing is or isn't doing. <sigh>

I use the .mov file from my canon 1100D I normally convert to MPEG 4 at the same bit rate and frame rate as the original, only the audio is lossly ... not so much of an issue though.

This is humungously s...l...o...w

Shortly after my last post it finally switched to allow me to set align points. I clicked on four and it took a full three minutes to mark them.

I finally twigged that the status line was sitting underneath my taskbar only to find that alignment was going to take almost five hours!

Trouble is - working on a laptop isn't going to work. The lappy hibernates unless there's someone around to hit a key or move the mouse every now and then. Went to bed, it got 18% done before hibernation and is now saying ...

... hmmm seems to be better working in the background while I'm writing this - up to a whole 38% now.

Is registax always like this or have I got a problem somewhere?

This is humungously s...l...o...w

Shortly after my last post it finally switched to allow me to set align points. I clicked on four and it took a full three minutes to mark them.

I finally twigged that the status line was sitting underneath my taskbar only to find that alignment was going to take almost five hours!

Trouble is - working on a laptop isn't going to work. The lappy hibernates unless there's someone around to hit a key or move the mouse every now and then. Went to bed, it got 18% done before hibernation and is now saying ...

... hmmm seems to be better working in the background while I'm writing this - up to a whole 38% now.

Is registax always like this or have I got a problem somewhere?

Registax can be pretty sluggish, my PC from 2009 takes around 21mins to align 1 min worth of 1280 x 960 MPEG-4 it has frozen on me a few times at this stage.

Have you tried virtual Dub to convert to avi? AstroStakker is much quicker than registax .

Not yet - I'll go find it and try it now. Thanks.

So far astrostakker has not liked any of the files that I've converted to avi

Edit: Nope - virtual dub doesn't load dot mov files

• 7 months later...

When you convert your files to AVI, what codec are they using? Most of these conversion programs are not designed for this type of work and use unsuitable lossy codecs. You ideally want your generated AVI file to use the DIB or YUY2 codec. Also, for registax to be able to open any AVI file, the correct codec does need to be installed.

If you can get the file converted an AVI file with a suitable codec you will almost certainly need to crop the video around the planet, PIPP should be able to handle this you.

Cor (Registax's author) said this in a recent email regarding PIPP:

"Great to see your preprocessor, that will help many of the users out. Especially those with DSLR that are recording AVIs with immense bitmaps which remain rather large. Your tool will probably shrink those down to a nice acceptable filesize."

I hope this helps,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Archived