Should I pull the trigger?

So I have come to the conclusion that one of these two scopes will be my first brand new scope - Nexstar 127slt or the 4se. I have been racking my brains out, comparing stats, comparing images taken through both etc etc. Now most people say go for apature (makes sense) but I cannot help thinking the 4se is a better 'quality'scope. I know now I want to mainly do planetary imaging through a webcam and also a 350D so both these scopes will be ideal. I have seen plenty of amazing pics of the planets (even detail on mars) on celestronimages through the 4se. Unfortunately rother valley optics are out of stock of both (I really wanted to pick up the scope from a shop) so it looks like I will be trying to find somewheere online to order.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you'll be dissappointed with either scope and I don't think there is a massive difference in quality between them. Personally I'd say the advice you've been given has been sound and the larger 5" Mak might have the edge. Imaging has lots of factors to take into consideration such as mount, camera, seeing conditions, post processing software & techniques, the scope only forms a small but signifcant part of that process.

I will definately be using FLO i've been hovering ober the buy button for a couple of days now. I think 'yeah the 127' but then see the lovely orange 4se with a better mount. Just wish I could stretch to a 5se then id be ok!I've seen photo's of jupiter and mars through the 4se that look as good if not better then the 127. But i know this is down to the post processing and camera setup. I just don't know if the trade off for 1" less for xlt coatings and beeter mount are worth it. After two weeks of head scratching im still no closer to a decision.

the mount on the 4se i would imagine would be a better quailty than the 127 but visually i would go for the biggest you can afford... 6se any one? :clouds2: at the end of the day the bigger the aperature the more you will see

but personally i would go for the 4se:P mainly for the optics, the mount build and 100% the orange tube:P (sorry not helpful lol)

i know that jumping from 8" to 10" is a massive increase but im not sure if the 1" is much

the 4se does have a built in wedge which will help a little in AP (but remember a alt az mount like the 2 here arnt very good for long exposure AP even the wedge wont help much) but it does give it somthing over the 127 that if you did have a DSLR kicking around you could give it ago.

the main problem i think is. if you buy the 4se would you be thinking after "what if"

the main problem i think is. if you buy the 4se would you be thinking after "what if"

Thats what im thinking, but Im sure whichever I decide I will think that anyway. Toss a coin?

to my knowlage FLO had a delivery of celestron scopes yesterday but im not sure what models i do remember them saying the 127 was on back order some time ago.

the 4se does have a slightly better mount....... has a "wedge" for basic playing for AP has the coatings similar to what the bigger 8se has. but the mount for the 4SE is the same as the 5SE (you wont be able to put anything bigger on there) not sure about the 127 though

I'd go 127Mak (skywatcher, not nextstar would be my choice. It's an identical OTA for less money). The optics on this are excellent, and it has 1" apeture over the 4SE. Don't be swayed by the orange paint, you're going to look through it not at it!

i was just reading a few reviews (of the 8se with the same coatings) it seems to be the main beleive the coatings did work but not much around on the 4se

main question, will you want to do any short basic astrophotography?

or do you want to have the possiability of seeing a few more DSOs (remembering that these scopes arnt very good for DSOs as short FOV)

As mentioned FLO had a large Celestron delivery yesterday, but I guess you would have to contact them to find out if they had either of your chosen scopes available for delivery.

Personally speaking I own the 127 SLT and it is a great scope. Cannot comment on the 4se.

Tjr is absolutely right. You are going to look through it, not at it and that extra inch of apeture will make a difference with the 127 SLT.

Although the 4SE has a better mount and goto with a larger database of objects 40,000 compared to 4,000ish for the 127slt. In anycase with the 4se you will never be able to see the whole 40,000 objects due to the fact that it is only a 4 incher. It is alot to do with the manufacturers marketing their products and having to cover all bases. The SE range goes from 4" to 8" and the mount is the same for all of the different sizes in the SE range.

And as a footnote, I have read that in order to get a really decernable difference you need to be going up to an 8"+ scope. Cannot comment personally as I don't have one that large(ooh err, missus). I will be getting a scope with a bigger apeture at some point, but for now I am more than happy doing my apprentiship with the 127 SLT.

I think if you're wanting to do some planetary imaging then the 127 edges it, but as tjr says I'd go for the Skymax 127 (basically the same scope) instead. Imaging planets is often about pushing the focal length out as far as you can and the less aperture you have the harder it will be to get enough light on the sensor when you do. The 127 should also be better than the 4SE for viewing DSOs, I think.

If you commit to the idea of the Skymax though, the decision on mounts is a tricky one as there are quite a few choices.

James

the mount for the 4se and 5se are the same the 6 se and the 8se are the same but 4 n 8 are different. ones built better and a longer arm (for the inch differences)

check with FLO which scopes came in, and then decide if your willing to wait a few weeks or not

RE powertank pop down to your local maplins / aldis / b&M / Home bargins and pick up a 12V jump starter i picked up a 17AH tank with 1 cigar 12 hole for £35 the skywatcher equivlent is over 100

I would certainly not choose a scope based on the size of it's goto list of objects. It's a bit like giving someone a fork to eat soup, no matter how big the bowl of soup, you are only going to consume so much with a fork.:clouds2:

I would second the option of going for the Skymax 127.

James

Totally agree with James, the '40,000 object database' is a ridiculous marketing boast. It may well be a true claim, but you will most likely only ever look at a few hundred of them at most.

Well I've gone and done it now, I decided on the 127slt. I thought I would order a dew shield and a power lead as well.

The main reason for going with this was seeing the images on the 127 thread I know It'll take me a long time to be able to take images like those but at least I will know the scope is more then capable even if I am not!

The only downside I can see to this transaction is the wife has now ordered me to get rid of the astromaster and the small bresser refractor!

The 6SE would be a better option I think. It shares the bigger mount with the 8SE the firmware on the handset is superior its not just the number of objects it also has better alignment routines auto calibration and backlash adjustment. The precise align works perfectly and the visual experience on planets is stunning and it has it's own pc control software made by celestron. In fact I don't know why I'm considering selling mine as I type this but the lure of the cooled CCD calling my name might tempt me :clouds2:

Sent from tapatalk

The 6SE would be a better option I think. It shares the bigger mount with the 8SE the firmware on the handset is superior its not just the number of objects it also has better alignment routines auto calibration and backlash adjustment. The precise align works perfectly and the visual experience on planets is stunning and it has it's own pc control software made by celestron. In fact I don't know why I'm considering selling mine as I type this but the lure of the cooled CCD calling my name might tempt me :clouds2:

Sent from tapatalk

I would of loved the 6SE but out of my budget im affraid, I was looking at a c6 OTA but that would of left me needing a good tripod and mount. Well an hor on and im not regretting it! Hope I get some clear skies when it comes, I think ill download the manual and have a good read while I wait for it's arrival.

Archived