NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flex tube auto tracking mod

WayBig

Thought I'd share my latest mod with you.

I use the synscan goto handset for planetary imaging, as the tracking is much better than the syntrak handset. However it still isn't perfect, especially the alt tracking.

The fix....a bag of spanners duct taped to the back of the scope. It ain't pretty, but it was the first thing that came to hand. The weight is about 900 grams and seemed to rebalance the tube nicely and greatly improved the az tracking.

I might make the mod more permanent by getting a magnet of a similar weight....or by aralditing the spanners on ;)

If you have a flex tube auto I'd recommend adding a counter weight.

I believe the "posh" form of this mod is to add a dovetail to the back of the scope and slide a saddle onto that with weight(s) attached. It can then be moved backwards and forwards to rebalance the scope as eyepieces are changed.

James

I believe the "posh" form of this mod is to add a dovetail to the back of the scope and slide a saddle onto that with weight(s) attached. It can then be moved backwards and forwards to rebalance the scope as eyepieces are changed.

James

Perhaps my spanners and araldite solution is a bit more astroboot than FLO

Quite. I think you really want the counterweight to be movable one way or another, otherwise you can find that larger eyepieces, or a different finder, or perhaps even a focuser upgrade, change the balance of the scope and you have no adjustment.

James

I need to do something similar with my frac setup - I've run out of adjustment on the dovetail with a DSLR hung on the focuser. I've looked at the FLO type approach - bit pricey, I'll go DIY as usual ;)

I agree it certainly helps the tracking, i use a mic case with 2 slits cut into it with velcro running round the tube, inside is some lead strip its easily cut to different weights and can be bent to the shape of the tube. I use about 100 grams for my 8" dob as the fan attached weighs about 300 grams. so about 400 grams total. This i find about right for imagining or using heavy eyepieces.

regards

jason :clouds2:

post-27261-133877772379_thumb.jpg

Archived