Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think I have it....... well maybe

I was looking at a TS scope, but was scared off by the QC issues I had read about. If you speak with Bern, I think you may be able to ask them to bench test it prior to sending it out. Don't know if that will make a difference, but made me feel a little happier to consider their scopes.

Unfortunately a nice second hand scope came up instead!!

I know it's more expensive, but not by that much, especially when you consider it's an apo you're getting:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5360_Explore-Scientific-127mm-f-7-5-Triplet-ED-Apo---Carbon-Tube.html

For about 500€ more you get lots more aperture, great optics made by a renowned manufacturer that had pretty good reviews, and all that in a snazzy carbon tube, meaning less weight which makes things a bit easier when choosing a mount. If I were in the market for an apo this one would be at the top of my list - f/7.5 isn't bad for photography (ok it's no f/4, but still it's not that slow either), and visual observing through that scope would provide pleasing views as well. Just my 5 cents ;)

Thing is, at a f/l of 600mm, why not just go for an ED80 and a reducer? Just as quick, colour correction will probably be just as good and half the price. In terms of small APO's for imaging, I haven't seen anything in the last couple of years at the budget end of the market that's going to be much better than the ED80.

Tony..

Tony..

Thing is, at a f/l of 600mm, why not just go for an ED80 and a reducer? Just as quick, colour correction will probably be just as good and half the price. In terms of small APO's for imaging, I haven't seen anything in the last couple of years at the budget end of the market that's going to be much better than the ED80.

Tony..

Tony..

idd

and this is part of the dilemma, im trying not to go down the Evostar route just to be different, however from everything I have seen it is probably the route to take, (as long as the stock focuser is replaced....) and unless your going to buy big how much is there between them all in real world usage..

That's what I was getting at in your poll thread, unless you want to look for one of the LOMO 80mm APO's or something like a FLT98 secondhand then I don't think you're going to see a huge amount of improvement. I tried to be different a couple of years ago, spent a fair bit of money but I ended up with an original Blue Tube-d ED80 which actually had a rock solid focuser on it, there's just no getting away from them unfortunately!

As you go up in aperture and focal length, there's a whole plethora of options not just refractors either(although the ED120 is hard to beat too) but for a budget, small APO it's still the ED80 IMO.

Tony..

Archived