Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter - £26.50

AstroZap Baader Solar Filter - £34

T Ring - £19

FLO 2-inch T mount camera adapter - £20

StarSharp Bahtinov Focus Masks - £14.95

Celestron SkyScout - £235

Moon Phase, Temperature & Time Clock - £29.95

Unihedron SQM-L Sky Quality Meter with lens - £110

The only things I haven't mentioned is the Barlow and eyepieces because I don't know what adaptor I need or where the best place to get them from is as I need 2".

Thanks,

Andrew Steele.

I bought that scope and mount with synscan probably a good month ago now. Brilliant bit of kit. Trouble is though, I have only had about 15 minutes of clear sky since I bought it. During that very short time, I was well impressed with the optics.

I assume you're going for imaging ?

HEQ5 & 80ED brilliant for asto imaging.

First question would be why the Skyscout ? Are you going into guiding as well ? I'm not sure how the skywatcher pollution filter performs. Do you need the sky quality meter ? Providing it's relitavely clear, i'm outside trying.

(Steve - you beat me to it) ;)

I have a Canon EOS 1100d camera.

And I probably don't need the Scout or quality meter. The pollution filter links in with the quality meter because I live in South Essex and the light pollution seems bad but I've never had a proper reading from it before. Maybe the filter would help me depending on what the quality meter says?

You need to review the sort of lighting problems you have, then get the right filter.

IMO it's one of the bits not to skimp on. You can have good tracking / guiding / camera but no good if you've got bad imaging subs .............

There are several discussion about new lighting, if you've got the new LED ones - as far as i'm aware there is no filter to get rid of this.

There are several discussion about new lighting, if you've got the new LED ones - as far as i'm aware there is no filter to get rid of this

What do you mean? If I've got the new LED ones? LED what?

You might want to consider the reducer/flattener with your 1100D as you'll get a better flat field out to the edges. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/skywatcher-focal-reducers.html I use it with my 1000D.

I use the skywatcher LPF and it's great value for the money, although over the last year I've noticed the performance drop with the bulbs being changed over to the wider spectrum LEDS :eek:... Do a with and without test to see how well if performs in your area. The next step up involves adding another £100 plus !! ;)

You'll also want one of these for adding the filter inline so you can keep the correct sensor to reducer spacing. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/flo-adapter-for-skywatcher-focal-reducers.html

You also (ok there are some on here who don't and get results but if you don't have eons of time and clear skies and are starting out...) MUST guide to achieve worthwhile results given the limited amount of decent sky conditions in the UK. You can use the finder scope that comes with the ED80. You'll need a guide cam and adapter for the scope though.

Oh and.. if you're serious about getting into imaging (and you have a strong back.. :mad:) you'd be better off going straight for the EQ6.. in imaging the mount is the first thing to consider.. bit like foundations on a building..

There's no reason why I can't take good photos with the mentioned scope and mount as it is! As the lighting conditions aren't great where I am, I don't want to overspend on the scope and everything as it probably isn't worth it, for my situation!

Also, I have just seen a Celestron SkyScout on the Astronomy buy and sell website for £140. Is it a reasonable price for it and would it come in handy alongside the scope?

Archived