Other stuff for newbies.

Firstly thank you everyone who has helped me so far.

Now I have decided on a scope what other non-telescope related 'stuff' (eg star charts, wooly hat, red torch) do people think would be useful. Also what would you advise to take on a first trip to dark skies?

I find being warm of prime importance- those reusable hand warmers and hot drinks make a huge difference.

I have a chair to sit more comfortably at my dob, less neck ache means longer at the eye piece.

Clear skies!

Vicky

Yes, a chair. You really will see more if you're sitting comfortably.

This atlas is just great: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317

Get a red head torch. These are all, without exception, too bright. It is not enough for the light to be red, it has to be dim and red. So paint a few layers of nail varnish over the plastic lens. Make sure you cover any white LEDs, since it's easy to accidentally activate those. Mine run on 3 AAA cells. I remove one cell and short two of the terminals. The drop in voltage dims the lights. Keep a separate bright torch (either red or white) in case you loose something or need to see more clearly in event of an emergency.

Any tools you may need to adjust stuff on your scope. A set of hex keys is usually useful.

Bring pen and paper to jot down what you saw. Perhaps an observing guide, such as Turn Left at Orion, to provide you with a nice list of targets.

A "rocket blower" (those things for cleaning camera lenses. I've often used them to de-dew my secondary mirror.

Get yourself down to Go outdoors, if you have one near you and pick yourself up a pair of HeatHolders Socks

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/heat-holder-sock-p164852

They really work. If you cant get these, warm your feet up and put 2 pairs of socks on. good socks gloves and hat are vital.

As has been said a nice hot drink, and make sure you have plenty of sleep before you set off, the drive home will get you otherwise ;)

Most of all enjoy your night, and have a good chat with everybody :eek:

I'm into diving and biking as well.

Diving undersuits are good, a Weezle Compact will keep you warm all night, especially with thermals under it. I have some heated insoles by Keis that can run from a battery for around 7 hours.

You will lose a lot of heat through your feet when you stand on concrete or tarmac, a ground sheet will help reduce that as well.

Don't forget a hat, the sillier the better.

Archived