Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

150mm Newtonian

Considering a Newtonian scope of 150mm diam. Undecided between a Celestron Omni XLT 150 and a Skywatcher Explorer 150P DS. At the moment tending to gravitate to the Skywatcher as it has a slightly shorter optic setup giving more backfocus for a camera.

Want to use it for both visual and astrophotography with a Canon DSLR and a webcam.

Has anyone any experiance with hanging a DSLR on the Celestron Omni.

I would welcome any comments or observations on the Altair Astro GSO 150 DS

Thanks

Can't comment on the GSO. If the Omni now has the 1.25"/2" Crayford then I expect it is the same as teh skywatcher appart from a different paint job. I have the Skywatch 150P single speed and it's a great scope for both visual and imaging with a DSLR. Back focus is fine for a Canon 1000D.

The Celestron has a 1.25 rack and pinion focuser (last time I checked), the SW 150p has a 2"-1.25" Crayford focuser, and the SW 150PDS has a 2"-1.25" dual speed Crayford focuser (I'm sure this is right?:hello2: ) therefore I would put the Celestron third, the SW 150p second, and the SW 150PDS first for imaging. I have put up wanted adds for a 150 newt and I keep on being offered Celestrons, although I believe the 200mm Celestron has a better focuser. I was also wondering about the GSO's? I've heard that the mirror cells arn't as good as SW ones though, I think the springs are a bit soft or something, although don't quote me on this bit though:D

Thanks for your welcome comments. You seem to be confirming my first view that the skywatcher has got the edge. Dont want to go above 150mm as I have to set up and breakdown my kit for every session.

I managed first light with my 150PDS the other night and I was pleasantly surprised by the views. It was only intended as a grab and go scope but I would be happy having it as a main scope given most DSO's are washed out by LP where I am anyway and it performed almost as well as my 200P on planets. Not had chance to image with it yet though so sorry I cannot offer any advice there.

Archived