Help Getting Darker Moon Pics?

what do i change on my camera to make the pictures i take Darker? Got ISO at 100, shutter speed is 50. F2.8

My moon shots are Really Really bright, was hoping i could adjust a setting on my camera too make them darker when taken..

Dont have any filters, and i dont think i could even attach a filter too this type of camera, its not a DSLR so i cant remove the lense or anything like that..

Using a Fujifilm Finepix S1000.

Anyhoo thanx in advance

pics ive taken, showing it as an example of how bright this puppy is..

528887_443630602319437_100000175038974_1918027_2035338742_n.jpg

ive got a better example just havent got it on photobucket yet. will post later if nessecary, but its the right side of the moon thats super bright which im trying too remedy.. thanx again!

*edit* Also like too note, that im not using a telescope.. its just a camera on a tripod *edit*

All you need to do, is have a faster shutter speed.

I did one the other night, just to prove she was still up there. It was 1/1250

also if you can take in RAW mode, then you'll be able to change the brightness of it anyhow.

just try other settings as well & either make a note of, or make sure you can see them in each file afterward - it's always good to remember what's worked & not.

Fair start, like you say get that brightness sorted & you'll be off.

All you need to do, is have a faster shutter speed.

I did one the other night, just to prove she was still up there. It was 1/1250

also if you can take in RAW mode, then you'll be able to change the brightness of it anyhow.

just try other settings as well & either make a note of, or make sure you can see them in each file afterward - it's always good to remember what's worked & not.

Fair start, like you say get that brightness sorted & you'll be off.

Cool so my shutter speed is set at 50 on the camera, do i raise or lower that number? im Very new with photography lol.

Scarlet's advice is spot on.

But to clarify/assist :

Your camera should have a manual mode.

Put it on 'M' manual mode.

Set ISO to 100.

Aperture to f5.6 or even f6.3 to maximise sharpness.

Shutter speed then needs to go faster or slower depending on the result. Try 1/100th second first and if the moon is still too bright, set it to 1/125th or 1/200th and so on. The higher the number, the faster the shutter.

As Viv says, if you can shoot RAW then do so. It's easier to darken back blown highlights from a RAW file than it is from a Jpeg.

Scott :hello2:

I'm not familiar with the camera, but do you have a shutter priority mode? I think it can also be down as 'TV'. Set the camera to that and increase the shutter speed until it gets to 1250 or thereabouts.

Then again I'm still quite new to this so I hope this isn't duff gen!

Alexxx

Scarlet's advice is spot on.

But to clarify/assist :

Your camera should have a manual mode.

Put it on 'M' manual mode.

Set ISO to 100.

Aperture to f5.6 or even f6.3 to maximise sharpness.

Shutter speed then needs to go faster or slower depending on the result. Try 1/100th second first and if the moon is still too bright, set it to 1/125th or 1/200th and so on. The higher the number, the faster the shutter.

As Viv says, if you can shoot RAW then do so. It's easier to darken back blown highlights from a RAW file than it is from a Jpeg.

Scott :hello2:

Excellent help thanx guys!

Just so im in the know, if my camera is set with a shutter speed of 50, thats 1/50th of a second? just cranked it up too 100.. so thats 1/100th of a second?

Sorry to now be a bit vague - but it depends on how your camera shows it.

Try it & see what happens - pick a bird / flower or something like - rather than waiting for the moon.

with mine that would be 50 seconds, but 1/50 would be 150th of a second.

Also meant to say - try as soon as you see the moon (providing the sun is down or completely out of the way). you will be able to get some lovely blue moon shots.

Sorry to now be a bit vague - but it depends on how your camera shows it.

Try it & see what happens - pick a bird / flower or something like - rather than waiting for the moon.

with mine that would be 50 seconds, but 1/50 would be 150th of a second.

Also meant to say - try as soon as you see the moon (providing the sun is down or completely out of the way). you will be able to get some lovely blue moon shots.

Took a picture of my living room ceiling light while it was on, everything around it was perfectly dark and the ceiling light was very clear and crisp, no blinding white lights.

Really excited to test these new settings out on the moon!

Clear skys all and thanx a bazillion for all your help! this is such a great community!

i had the s2500HD fujifilm

F5.6

1/125 second

ISO 64

focal length 90mm

white balance : Auto

shoot these settings in M mode on the dial , you may want to adjust either the ISO higher or the shutter speed.

these same settings can be used to capture fireworks, the only change is the shutter speed to 8 seconds and careful trigger finger.

you have to pop the shutter just at the right time to capture the whole light show.

stars are harder the 8 second exposure is very low and very rare captures but the most brightest

picture added was taken with above settings on a my old fujifilm S2500Hd

post-29537-133877769967_thumb.jpg

General rules of thumb:

1. lowering the ISO will darken photos, raising ISO will brighten them up. Technically you are changing the responsivness of the film. Higher ISO may also appear more grainy.

2. Increasing the aperture (F/number) will darken a photo, lowering it will brighten the shot. Setting your lens to f/2.8 makes a brighter photo and makes the depth of field shallower (things behind and in front of the focused object tend to blur out).

3. Exposure time is the most obvious. Longer exposure = brighter photo.

I also use a technique called bracketing. I set the camera for what I expect the right ISO, exposure, and aperture should be - then I take my photo. Next, shorten the exposure and take again, then lengthen and take another. By comparing the three shots, you can see what works best for you. You can also "bracket" aperture settings and ISO settings, too. But you will do well to take careful notes and only change one thing at a time.

With a little careful work, you should easily find what works best for you.

Dan

what do i change on my camera to make the pictures i take Darker? Got ISO at 100, shutter speed is 50. F2.8

My moon shots are Really Really bright, was hoping i could adjust a setting on my camera too make them darker when taken..

Dont have any filters, and i dont think i could even attach a filter too this type of camera, its not a DSLR so i cant remove the lense or anything like that..

Using a Fujifilm Finepix S1000.

Anyhoo thanx in advance

pics ive taken, showing it as an example of how bright this puppy is..

528887_443630602319437_100000175038974_1918027_2035338742_n.jpg

ive got a better example just havent got it on photobucket yet. will post later if nessecary, but its the right side of the moon thats super bright which im trying too remedy.. thanx again!

*edit* Also like too note, that im not using a telescope.. its just a camera on a tripod *edit*

I'm not familiar with the camera, but do you have a shutter priority mode? I think it can also be down as 'TV'. Set the camera to that and increase the shutter speed until it gets to 1250 or thereabouts.

Then again I'm still quite new to this so I hope this isn't duff gen!

Alexxx

Ahh, I didn't see the above comments! They're much better! :hello2:

Archived