Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first light

Celtic Deacon

Well a combination of the 3 or 4 clear nights I've had since March when 200p Dob arrived.

Delivery from First Light Optics was quick and efficient, 48 hours I think. I probably had one of the last ones before stock ran out. Even after seeing pics on here I was surprised by the size of the boxes. Assembly was easy except for a slight error on fixing the 2 base pieces. After years of MFI I tend to do things up as much as I can, when I tried nudging the mount it took me a while to work out why it wasn't moving. Thankfully I didn't get on the phone to FLO or post a question here about that!

Cloud for days after that and as my Cheshire collimator didn't arrive with the scope I wasn't that bothered. First clear night collimator still hadn't arrived but I took scope outside anyway. I thought I'd have to tweak the mirrors before first using but I gave it a go anyway. First attempt was to find Orion Nebula. Failed, not sure why I knew where it was, could see belt and sword but no nebula. Got a bit miffed at that and thought scope would have to go back.

I'd been using bins for a while and Pleiades had always impressed me so I nudged scope up to that. Wow, any thought of sending it back vanished. Moved across to what I later found out was Perseus and another fantastic sight.

Since then I've enjoyed Venus Jupiter - not in great detail yet - and Mars. Missed Saturn last week too. What really knocked me out was the Moon, such a beautiful sight!

Tried collimating scope on a dry day last week but it didn't seem to need it, I'm sure I'm not doing it right!

Gone a bit mad and bought Vixen 8 and 30 mm EP, couple of filters, Tal barlow and Telrad. SW OIII filter on wishlist still. SW panaview on order.

Can't wait for next clear night.:)

Thank for the write up - I love mine CD I'm sure you'll have a great time with it - out of interest why have you bought the 30mm Vixen and the Panaview - aren't they very close in terms of lens diameter?

Never tried a Vixen are you impressed with them?- hope we can meet up soon at one of the SW Group obs sessions so we can see your scope in action.

In the meantime congratulations on your new kit and clear skies.

The SW has a wider field of view- 70 deg as against 50 deg with Vixen - and I thought that would be a good addition. If I'm honest though it was more of a rush of blood to the head! The Vixens are great and a huge improvement over the supplied EP's. Noticed you cancelled your SW and went for Baader - how is that shaping up?

The SW has a wider field of view- 70 deg as against 50 deg with Vixen - and I thought that would be a good addition. If I'm honest though it was more of a rush of blood to the head! The Vixens are great and a huge improvement over the supplied EP's. Noticed you cancelled your SW and went for Baader - how is that shaping up?

I wish I knew- had wall to wall cloud since I bought it :).

Good point with the Vixen - I'm sure your right with the panaview- not sure I made the right choice to be honest CD but time will tell - perhaps we can exchang for a few minutes when we hopefully meet up at a session.

On a positive note- my weather station is showing the air pressure rizing rapidly - fingers crossed we'll get some stars out tommorrow night.

nice piece. nice scope. dont expect details on venus,you wont get any.

im sure you'll get to see the great nebula in orion,but it will be more difficult now with it low in the west after dark.

telrad will speed up getting within a whisker of where you want to be.look foward to more reports ( as im after the same scope at some stage) so keep them coming celtic demon...

"so keep them coming celtic demon..."

I think I prefer that to celtic deacon rory! Not sure what Archbishop would say though!

Steve, I'll get to a meet one day and you can gladly have a go of panaview

:)....:):o, sorry . celtic deacon .

Archived