Need help deciding

vlebo

I have finally made my mind up ( sort of ) and I will be getting myself a refractor as my only scope in an effort to make my life easy. With the actual amount of time I get outside I need to keep everything basic so I am thinking of a Vixen NA 140 flat field refractor First Light Optics - Vixen NA 140 SSF Flat Field Refractor on a Sky Tee 2 Alt Az mount. My question is as this scope is not a true apo would I be better off getting something like the Equinox 120 which is, but has a slightly smaller aperture, or go for the Vixen and hope the ca is not too bad.It will be used purely for visual at home and to take to dark sites in the boot of my car wherever my journeys take me. ( I am a Chauffeur ).

Your feedback is much appreciated

Vlebo

I guess CA isn't so much of a problem in visual rather than imaging. Depends on the scope, I guess, and your own tolerance.

I don't notice so much with my TAL, but I do find the blue halos around stars that I get with my Starwave ED more annoying.

The question of false colour only exists if you are intending to look at bright objects such as the moon, planets and very bright stars but if you are wanting to look at deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebula which are faint, this problem doesn't exist. You don't indicate in your post above what your interests are regarding observing. The Equinox with its ED FPL-53 glass is a very good performer and will perform better on the brighter objects. It is a slightly slower scope (F7.5) which will be more tolerant of cheaper eyepieces compared to the Vixen (F5.7).

Not to question your decision to get a refractor, but if for example planets were your thing, you could alternatively purchase a Maksutov such as a 180 (7") Skymax Pro scope or a 9.25" Celestron Cassegrain, both of which would give you a larger aperture, which equates to more light grab and therefore better resolution and both are cheaper. Being essentially reflectors by design, the false colour doen't exist and will afford the same viewing position as a refractor unlike a newtonian which will have you all round the place. Is there a reason for not considering these catadioptric type scopes as an alternative?

James

Hi James

No real reason, just that I have always liked the idea of a refractor for its simplicity and unobstructed views. My eyepieces are 3x Pentax XW's ( the 30 mm , 20mm and 10mm ). I want to keep my equipment down to one scope and just use it for casual observing whenever I can ( not often ). I am open to suggestions as to which scope would cover my needs ,if such a thing exists, but ideally It would need to be easy to set up and transportable . I recently sold my Flextube 300p and Equinox 120 as I rarely used them but still have the itch to get out there.

Vlebo

The vixen could be a very good choice, i have not looked through one but the idea seems good, and you have decent ep`s to use with it, im sure there is a couple of reviews on cloudy nights for the 140

Why a SkyTee-2 mount, if your going just for the one scope?

It can handle the weight quite comfortably and it is an alt az mount which is what I prefer for quick grab n go views.

I have this scope at the moment. I'm trying to write a review on it.

I was very surprised how big it was, but the HEQ5 handles it nicely. This is a big scope for grab and go!

Overall it's a very nice telescope. The feel of the scope is of one that is well made from quality materials. I was a little concerned about using the carry handle, but I've got used to it now and it seems to be man enough for the job.

My sample came without a finder but accepts the usual SW finders.

The focuser is a R&P style, but it has a 1/10 reduction on one side, the focuser is pretty smooth for a R&P and I've had no issue in fine focusing.

There is one thing that bothers me a little - the focuser is obviously a 2" focuser but it seems to be ever so slightly larger than normal - it really cannot be much.

I use a SCT adapter to ensure that the chip is as central as I can get it, on my other scopes this is a fairly tight fit, and once tightened you could carry the scope around by the camera (although I wouldn't recommend it :) ) but on the vixen it is loose initially and even after tightening it is still loose. I have to use the thumb screws to hold it in place - which you not supposed to do...

On the very few occasions I have used my 2" diagonal I've not had so many concerns about the way that it fits as you use the thumb screws anyway - but I thought I'd mention it.

My simple estimate is that this scope needs around an hour to cool. This is based on focus shift when I started a session - watching the subs come in I could see that the stars were getting bigger with each one. After about an hour I went out and refocused and I didn't get any further problems with Focus slipping. It was not movement in the focuser itself unless Vixen have worked out a way to defy gravity :).

Onto visual, I need to stress that I only own one EP - it's the awful 20mm EP that comes with the SW reflectors. So you need to take what I'm about to say with a pinch of salt.

Viewing very bright objects did show quite a bit of blue. But this was well within the hour cooling time, Venus and Jupiter were both low in the sky and I was using cheapy Ep's.

The moon a little later in the evening and a little higher in the sky was much better - there was still some blue - but it was no where nearly as intrusive, and didn't really bother me at all.

All in all I really like this scope.

Would I buy one. I think that if I could justify spending this amount of money on a scope then yes I would. I am secretly hoping that Steve will forget that I have it.

I live up by Peterborough, if your close by and want to come and look let me know.

Ant

Thanks Ant

Nice review , seeing as it will only be used for visual I am assuming the oversize focuser issue will be less of a problem for diagonals and eyepieces. I need to have a look at one before I make a final decision to determine it's size . thanks for the offer of popping up but Peterborough may be difficult to get to. :)

Vlebo

Thanks again Ant . It's not the distance it's finding the time to get to you . I am very busy at the moment and working 7 days a week , if a spare day pops up and you still have the scope I may pm you if you are free.

Thanks again

Vlebo

Archived