Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

200p dob ep help

skygazer

Hi guys

I have a sky watcher 200p dob and have already replaced the 10mm ep and purchased a tal 2x Barlow. I am now looking getting a new ep mainly for dso's (something like a 32mm).

So the question is can anyone recommend an ep for wide field viewing.

Thanks

Paul

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Paul

The 32mm Panaview gets good reviews. As do the Hyperion aspheric ones.

To be frank though I find the mag it gives you (around 37x) is kinda low for most DSO,s I seldom use a power this low unless the object is huge. I don't tend to use power under 50x, unless as said, the object is huge.

You can use to little mag and the DSO become so small that the eyepiece is little better than a finder. You may find yourself centering it in a 32mm then immediately swapping to say a 20mm to start observing it.

Ask yourself "do I really need a bigger FOV, how much will I observe at this low a power?"

There are obviously some targets that need this big field, but TBH not that many.

Hi

Thanks for the great advice, as well as using a wide field ep for dso's I was also thinking of using the ep for finding objects too as I find my 25mm does offer a wide enough view and the doesn't show the fainter objects.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

a 32mm eyepiece would show objects with even less contrast than the 25mm. if you cannot see them as they are too faint with a 25mm, then you will be unlikely to with a 32mm in my experience. you could consider a wider field 25-28mm maybe? I use a 26mm but this is an expensive eyepiece.

I agree about it being to low a mag. I picked up a 31 mm Hyperion aspheric a couple of weeks ago,and although it is great I find a 25mm gets more use.

I think for me the 25mm x-cell is my favourite eyepiece size.

Archived