NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best scope......?

Hi all

So, I'd decided to wait a few months to get a scope and I was thinking about something like a Skywatcher 200p but I really don't think I CAN wait a few months! LOL. So, what are your thoughts on the Skywatcher 130p? What would I realistically expect to see through it? Can I hook my dslr (Nikon D80) to it?

I'm thinking portability too. OR is it worth forcing myself to wait and get a 200P? I'd like to see the planets, moon and things like the Orion nebula.

Would love to hear the opinions of people who know what the hell they're doing rather than my very newbie standpoint LOL

Muchly thankings

Buy the one you will use the most.

If that is a large reflector or a small refractor it doesn't matter.

With the average number of viewing nights and the fact that it is going to be light until late for the next few months I wouldn't worry too much about delivery immediatly or in a few weeks.

Hi,

I don't have any of these telescopes but I am buying the 200p one (very cheap!) on Saturday and I cannot wait!

What I would say is that as the 130 is only £175 at least £50 of that will be for the tripod and only £125 for the actual scope itself!

If you already have a sturdy tripod and mount at home then maybe you could buy the 200p without the mount as this is only £260 (on last look).

The first telescope I had and still own is the Skywatcher 114H and I bought it for £150 around 11 years ago. I haven't really been able to see much through it as the telescope hasn't got that much going for it, apart from the price, although that's too cheap for a 'GOOD' scope.

You can hook any DSLR camera up to it but you will need to buy a T-ring adapter and these are found here:

First Light Optics - T Rings

Just select the Nikon one and that will be it.

In my opinion, I would wait a few months and buy the 200p because I think it looks a decent scope! And maybe if you wait for me to get mine, I can upload some photos on here or give you a review which might help you decide which one to go for!

So basically, I would get a telescope around the £400 mark if you realistically want to see decent views of Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, the Moon or the Orion Nebula! I read a review somewhere about someone who's got the 200p and with the 10mm eyepiece, he could see the shape of Venus! This is quite amazing considering if you bought a 6mm eyepiece, it must look amazing!

I'm sorry I can't be of much help but I think it'd be best if you gave it a couple of weeks and then I can tell you what I think!

I know it's hard waiting, I've been waiting for a year :) but it's worth making the right decision and only you can make that!

Andrew Steele.

Thanks everyone, I think I'm just a little impatient LOL. You're right, I think I need to wait a little longer and get the 200 (maybe a 250 if I leave it till around October LOL. Andrew I'll happily wait for you to get yours going mate, I'm really looking forward to hearing how you're getting on with it.

I'll wait, carry on with my Celestron 15x70 bins and learn more first........ even though I want one right now!!! LOL

the other option is buy used now. if you bought e.g. a 150mm or even a 130mm used, you would have something to observe with until you have the funds minus the value of the 130/150mm. when you do, sell the 130/150mm to make up the rest. that's the way I tend to work. buying used you don't lose as much / any money either. like a savings account where the interest is not astronomical but the views are! (see what I did there?).

This hobby rewards the patient and tends to punish impatience. It will teach you patience, though, if you allow it to. The rewards are almost always worth it - wait a bit, get a better scope. You're not buying a scope to use for two weeks, you'll likely be using it for years to come, and from that perspective a few months waiting time is insignificant compared to the better views you'll enjoy for years.

The best scope does not exist ,some one may have a 80mm cheap refractor and say that's the best scope,some one will spend thousands on just a scope and say "mine is the best " buy this or that. In the end let he choice be yours not the views of some one else .research the scopes ou looking at, find out if you can image with the said scope.

The scope is just a small part ,set aside cash to buy new eps ,the eye pieces that come with scopes. Are not that great but will do

Choose wisely

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest a visit to your local astro club. That way you can get "up close and personal" to a few scopes - which may reinforce your original choice, give you some different ideas or just lead to even greater confusion and uncertainty :).

However, don't leave it too long. Most astro clubs close down for a few months over the summer, until the skies start to get dark again and the rain is cooler.

You didn't mention what mount you're planning for the 200p (or 130). If you want to get exposures of any length with your DSLR, you'll need a very good mount and that costs more.

So far as what you want to see, some comments:

First of all, pretty much any telescope will show you the moon. The amount of detail and area covered by the view will depend more on the eyepiece you use - as that will set the magnification and field of view.

Also, Orion is pretty much finished for this year - it'll be back in November/December.

As for the planets, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars are the only ones that give any sort of decent views. It turns out that this coming summer is rather sparse on the planet front. Although there are some nice views now of Mars and Saturn, they'll soon disappear into the twilight as days get longer and then it won't be until October that Jupiter starts to come back round.

Now that doesn't mean there won't be anything to see during the summer. The milky way always provides a lot of good targets (although you need to be up arounf midnight/1:00 to get the best of it).

200P is great scope its not very portable tho and if u plan to do some AP you ll need HEQ5 ( at minimum ) or rather EQ6 mount

I have 200P on EQ5 and any gust of wind = sub ruined

My 2 cents - I started with a 130 and found I should have waited and with in a year I purchased a 200. I've gone a different route than most on this forum I have a CGEM mount - equivalent to the HEQ6 I believe very solid.

The conclusion I came to was to make sure I built from the ground up - best possible mount first then you can upgrade scopes as your needs (wants) dictate.

Also consider the info on Skywatchers website - the 200 gathers 137% more light than the 130.....

Good luck :hello2:

Archived