NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Altair Astro mini guider system - Anyone use it?

Altair 60mm Miniguider with Autoguider Webcam focuser, tube rings, multi-purpose base :: Autoguiding Equipment :: Altair Astro

I quite like the look of this mini guider system. I am going to get a pair of guidescope rings for my finder guider as I want to get the guider aligned with the scope. As the rings are over £80, I thought this was a pretty good way of ditching my finder scope and just using the one for both.

So, if anyone uses it or has seen one - When you want to use it as a finderscope that's fine and when you want to guide with it you just add something to the end of it? I can see how it works as a guider, but I can't see how it works as a finder - There's no eyepiece type thing there.

I've got one but not tried it yet as a guider. However, it looks really solid. I've always argued that someone should make a guidescope with no focuser, just a tube into which to put the camera. No droop, no flex, and cheaper. In its other role it's a cracking finder.

Olly

You remove the little star diagonal and EP holder that comes with it as a finder and put in a tube which holds the camera. It is designed to do both jobs if you have the bits, but you do need a little kit to go from finder to guider.

John, I might be more inclined towards an OAG with your RC scope. Long FL, slow F ratio, mirror which might move...

Olly

Does it come with an eyepiece already? If not, what type and size would I need? Also, do they do them with cross hairs in them? I have to buy additional stuff than what is supplied?

Sorry, EP's are really not my bag!

Just ask Altair Astro. They do it as a finder and as a guider. The EP has crosshairs and an illuminator which works well, though as I always flatten reticle batteries due to absent mindedness, I usually illuminate by shining my head torch across the objective. More sensible people will not have this problem!

Olly

Weight Tony, it's all about the weight!!!

I've got a SW120ED with a Pentax 75 on the dual bar. Add the 314, filter wheel and reducer as well as the HR16 OSC I want to put in at the same time and my HEQ5 is about at it's maximum operating weight I reckon. We both need a diet!!

I guessed it was a weight issue. I recently changed from the ST102 as a guider to the ST80 because of possible flexure.

This halved the weight, the ST80 coming in at 2lb 11oz naked. No accessories or rings. A full 2lbs lighter than the ST102.

It will be interesting to know the weight of the AA Mini Guider when it arrives.

• 1 year later...

I ordered one of these, with the guiding attachment this week. With a Lodestar guider, the focus travel is not quite enough. I think it will be fine with any guider which has the chip buried behind the 1.25" tube. The guider attachment is made up of a locking helical focuser and a small extension tube. I have asked AA if they can supply another small extension tube, which will do the trick.

I bought one before SGL8 and used it to guide my Canon 600mm prime lens and DSLR camera. With a QHY5 on the back of it there was never a problem with finding a good guide star. The only difference between the finder scope and guide scope option is that the diagonal and EP is replaced with a sturdy straight extension tube with EP holder. It has a beautifully smooth helical focuser and the mounting bracket with two securing screws is very robust. It just works out the box, you can't ask for better than that.

I've been using this AA mini finder guider now for almost a year - I got it soon after starting this thread. I'm very pleased with it. I use it with a QHY5 and I've never failed to find a guide star. Everything is aligned, so if I need to use it as a finder, a quick screw in of the eye piece and diagonal and it works perfectly. I did a review of it shortly after receiving it in the review section if anyone is interested.

• 1 year later...

Archived