NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

W/C 23rd April

swamp thing

Hi All

Looks like another super week. This cloud and rain is getting to be a bit tedious.

It hasn't stopped raining since they announced the drought.

This week is good for a possible dark sky trip, if it ever clears. Is anyone interested?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have set up the mount in the garden and aligned it. Just for a giggle, I have put the camera on it and pointed it to the Virgo cluster of Messier objects with M87 kinda in the middle and left it running doing 60 exposures at 30seconds each at ISO800.

I expect to get some blurry clouds :)

Congratulations Steve - Top man :) Cloud moderation has gotta be the top of the list job :(

Speaking of which, the camera survived the wind last night (no rain thankfully). Many of the frames contained some blurry clouds and some lp from a neighbours light. It was a bit of an experiment but I definitely need a bit more focal length on the lens for next time as it is way too wide angle. It was at 55mm - I think 200mm at least next time.

Oh, and less wind, darker skies, no cloud and a power cut for the neighbours would be nice too :)

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8021/7119392279_00360228d6.jpg' alt='7119392279_00360228d6.jpg'>

Wide field around M87 by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Cheers Lee & Jamie

Glad the cameras okay Lee.

I used to take photos (35mm film) years ago piggy backing and hand tracking with a 200mm lens on top of my 114mm newt. Very amateurish I know but they worked okay.

Look forward to seeing how you do it in the field.

Let's hope we get some cloud free nights soon.:)

congrats steve also! seem to be tonnes more mods now....maybe a trend!

Lee your stars seem really sharp, need some alignment tips off you at some point :(

Thanks. That was just the camera and normal lens so used auto focus on the moon then switched to manual and didn't touch it again. On the telescope, I use a Bahtinov mask but I think it's luck some of the time though. I thought a recent one of M51 was ok until I had a look on the pc and I had blurry oval stars!

Just need to clear, calm evenings to have another go :D

Archived