Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 150 & 180 PRO package contents.

The Skywatcher Skymax 150 PRO and Skymax 180 PRO optical tubes are sold as packages. The contents of the package tend to vary, which can be frustrating!

Normally the Skymax-150 includes a 2” Star Diagonal, 2" 28mm LER eyepiece and 9x50 finderscope. And the Skymax-180 includes 9mm & 20mm 1.25" LER eyepieces, a 2” Star Diagonal and 9x50 finderscope. But, occasionally the single 2" eyepiece is substituted for 2x 1.25", and vice-versa. And sometimes the 9x50 finderscope is substituted for a right-angle RA 9x50 finder-scope.

The contents of the packages are chosen and packed at Skywatcher's factory. We cannot tell what is included unless we open the box prior to dispatch. It isn't an ideal situation but if you have a strong preference regarding the accessories please contact us prior to ordering.

Hope that helps,

Steve

skymax_150_pro_ota.jpg

Yay! And you've updated the website as well, nice one Steve :D

While you are at it, any chance you could have an adaptor made for the now much larger visual back on these newer models? I.e. ~65mm female step down to male 2" SCT ? You did mention you would look into it a while ago. :)

That way, focusers/adaptors etc. could go straight on. Being able to add a short SCT focuser or say a Meade zero shift electric focuser would make these excellent imaging devices for lunar/planetary work.

Cheers

Ian

We have edited the product description a number of times, each time thinking they had settled on what was in the box, only for it to change. We think our current note is the best way forward :D

The difficulty with the adapter is that it has quite a wide diameter, so would be expensive to source in low quantities, and if we commission a quantity of adapters only for Skywatcher to then move the goalposts...

I am half expecting them to employ a regular SCT thread, that would be the sensible thing to do.

Thanks Steve. Still, it would be nice if Skywatcher could supply something even if you don't want to :D

Jules, I'm still looking into using an electronic focuser, e.g. Meade zero shift.

But without an adapter you cannot attach anything useful for focusing like you could with the older models.

It's a real shame. Just last week I know someone who bought a 180 to replace his older gold tube 150, to find all the SCT bits he has doesn't fit. Retailer involved just shrugged his shoulders by all accounts.

I even asked Wayne to run me off a one off adapter, but never heard back from him.

So I would say, excellent OTA, but let down by lack of adapters, which in turn means difficult to use for more serious imaging. So you are into one offs and putting together a system yourself. Doesn't really bother me though, happy to fiddle, any excuse to be in the shed :)

Cheers

Ian

Ian what was the diameter of the adapter?

My C11 has a very similar adapter as the one I had, it has an inner diameter of 82mm

Steve I hope you dont mind me posting a link here but i believe

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p592_Baader-Adapter-to-2--for-the-big-3--SC-Thread-of-C11-and-C14.html

Should do the job. not SCT but a 2 inch to push fit to SCT will work.

And you are a Baader stockist :D its kinda pricy though .... :) but demand is not going to be very high i guess

Hey Earl,

It's about 65mm.

The one I got from you works a treat actually. I'm thinking more for those that come across this issue.

Yep, you could use a 2" push fit, but the scope comes with that anyway. And it works fine for visual use with a diagonal etc.

But when it comes to adding a mechanical focuser, you really don't want push fit in the image train, especially if hanging cameras off the back of it.

So I'm looking at a Meade zero shift on the back or looking to machine a bracket to fit an electric motor focuser to the standard focuser either via direct drive, or probably easier via belt or chain drive. The standard focuser I think could be modded with better bearings first though to allow more tension on any drive mech.

Anyway, rambling here. :D

Whole point of this thread is to ensure prospective owners are aware that Skywatcher are a bit funny with accessories for these OTAs. :)

Cheers

Ian

Archived