Tripod for bins

Can anyone recommend a cheap decent tripod for binoculars. I know cheap and decent are poles apart but I haven't got much to spend and it won't get used a lot. I don't want a £4.99 chinese special though that will buckle under the weight of a feather.

Hello,

Your sig suggests you're more experienced than I so forgive me if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs...

I got bored of my bins/tripod very quickly. Short tripods are very awkward with seating, kneeling. It's hard on the neck and difficult to look up through the optical axis of the bins. Tall tripods are wobbly or expensive and still have problems with looking near the zenith. There are parallelogram mounts of course but it's a very different experience to using a reflector.

That said I've read good things about the Horizon 8115.

Cheers.

It's not really for astronomy, I probably should have said, I can't stand for long some days (at all today) so it's just for viewing mainly terrestrial stuff and maybe a quick glance on cloudy nights at the stars. As for experience, I think everyone who has used something has enough experience of it to learn something from so thank you for your input :D

My sig just says I bought some stuff lol

Hi Chris, difficult to know what to suggest really as I'm not sure what your budget is. I have found this one which is pretty cheap but is of a good height and there are other alternatives listed below. To attach your binoculars to these mounts only requires an 'L' bracket which attaches to the front of the central pillar of your binos (might need to unscrew the central cap off) You can buy one here or you can make one of your own (B&Q with the correct small bolts). I hope that helps.

James

I really like my Hama traveler mini pro. It is a shortish tripod but it's extremely light comes with a ball head and perfect for viewing when seated :D I use it with all the bins in my signature (with a heavy duty L bracket) it can take up to 10kgs. I had it for £20 on warehouse express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is a cracking scope:) I had nice views of Venus other hight:) and the build quality is assume :D she's older than the coulter I have

That tripod is amazing though. If u prefer to sit down and really light weight I use it everywhere and when walking it makes a nice quick walking stick when extended (I'm 5"10). What bins do you want to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Chris

My advise is go for a horizion 8113 from FLO and the L Brakets as they are well made

will take the weight up to a 25x100 Revelation binocular just in case you get larger bins in the future

clear skies

I bought the hama star tripod in which someone provided a link for :D Im 6ft 4 and it extends far enough for it to be comfortable for me when viewing through my bins. And looking at some of the other tripod prices paying £14 is not too shabby at all.

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up buying this one, but I got it for £22 at Amazon.

Looks like a very handy and vesatile tripod - I especially like the idea of the monopod option (which extends to a good height) - I often use my "photo" tripod as a monopod whilst "perched" on one of those ironing board seats!!

The separable monopod would also be useful if travelling and weight was an issue.

The Amazon purchase is a real bargain - and free delovery as well! I am almost tempted!!

Archived