Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PDA for ALT/AZ readouts

I had a similar set up to the one on BuySell a few years back. IMHO you just don't need anything more modern to do the job....of course if you want the PDA to be able to do 'other stuff' then thats a different matter. :(

It was a long time ago Phil but I think it took 2 AAA, I think the screen wasn't back lit but had a light in front of the screen shining down.

If it really was a long time ago it sounds like one of those that 'Del-boy' was selling in Peckham Market. :(

("Com'on ladies and gents get your Pison ere!)

I recently purchased a Mio P550 PDA for work and my friends were impressed enough to invest in the lesser P330 version, which runs at about £160. For that you get a modern PDA running Windows Mobile 5 and capable of running a wide variety of modern, powerful software and can take 2Gb or larger SD cards. It's big selling point however is that it has a built in GPS receiver, so you just install the GPS software of your choice and your away. I use TomTom 6 since it's the bees knees, but you could conceivably use anything that will run on mobile 5 software. So for the price of the base level TomTom GPS you get a PDA that can do all sorts and still work as a GPS in your car or handheld GPS on the go. Batteries are built in and charge from a USB connector or charger.

Not quite sure what you might want by Alt-Az readout. But I have a "Housewive's Choice - NOT my phrase!) new Palm Z22 running "Planetarium" software. This does many things, including (specifically) conversion of RA/DEC to ALT/AZ. But of course PDAs might be a "dying species" in Microsoft land... :)

I think, if you really want "readout" and to "drive the thing" (Your Scope), via a PDA, you'd need to look at the various "port" capabilites of the device etc. But many such devices claim such facilities... :(

Gaz is right Chris it's just a "pushto" mount, just need the coordinates...

Was looking at that Z22 on Ebuyers site yesterday...

Think it was about £70 new and I like the idea of a beefier astro software package...

Do you rate the Z22 as a decent machine Chris?

Thanks for all the info guys :(

Not quite sure what you might want by Alt-Az readout. But I have a "Housewive's Choice - NOT my phrase!) new Palm Z22 running "Planetarium" software. This does many things, including (specifically) conversion of RA/DEC to ALT/AZ. But of course PDAs might be a "dying species" in Microsoft land... :)

I think, if you really want "readout" and to "drive the thing" (Your Scope), via a PDA, you'd need to look at the various "port" capabilites of the device etc. But many such devices claim such facilities... :(

Thanks for that, Chris. I have a palm, so should come in handy. I was also thinking of installing this:

http://astro.isi.edu/pleiadatlas/

Brian L

Archived