Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter in a 6" Reflector??

cygnusx1

Well after weeks of waiting, good weather has finally allowed me to set up and take a look through my new scope.

After polar aligning, i pointed the finder-scope at Jupiter, plugged in a 25mm eye-piece and looked..... :(

What i saw dissapointed me - a tiny reddish globe, with 3 or 4 pinpoints that i took to be moons.

No clouds or bands, no GRS, in fact hardly anything more than a blurry little globe.

My question is:

Am i expecting too much out of my scope? Is it my eye-pieces?

How do i get those wonderful view that some ppl have posted? :jupiter:

OK im probably being naive, but let me know the hard truth!!

:sad10: in Herts

that is all you will see with a 25 mm EP! You really need something like a 10mm or 6mm to be able to start seeing anything significant! Anything more than that you would need to get a BARLOW lens!

Hope this jelps!

Darren :)

Hi Darren

My focal length is 1400mm, so 25 mm would be x56 magnification.

I did try 12mm but made no difference, with and w/out 2x Barlow.

:(

Thanks for the replies folks :(

I've tried both PL6.5mm (x200 ) and 4mm with and w/out 2x Barlow.

I can't seem to focus, as soon as it starts focusing, it gets to a blur, then goes larger again.

I guess its either my eyepieces or my scope quality???

As the magnification goes up the 'point of critical focus' gets smaller, so you have to be more careful in when you are coming to focus. Its doesn't help that Jupiter is very low near the horizon this year so you'll get a lot of atmospheric interference, its not the best object to test a scope/ eyepeice on TBH.

Archived