NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Synscan GoTo compatible with Skywatcher Heritage 130p Dob?

Hermit

Hi

I've had my Skywatcher Heritage 130p Dob for several months now and am enjoying using it very much. It's a great scope, especially the portability of it and the quality of the mirror. However, at high magnifications with a 3x Barlow I'm getting a little impatient at the object drifting rapidly from the field of view. This is especially an issue when attempting to find and image planets with the Phillips SPC900NC Webcam with the Barlow. When I eventually get the planet onto the chip, by the time I've adjusted my capture settings so that I can see detail etc, it has drifted from view and is frustratingly difficult to find it again, even with the slightest movement of the Dob base.

Therefore, I'm considering buying the Skywatcher Synscan Alt Az GoTo mount for it, and was wondering if anyone has done the same?

The above mount would also help me to locate objects in the light-polluted sky of Manchester, without relying on star hopping via stars that are hidden by the LP.

On paper, the scope and the mount are compatible due to the standard dovetail bar, but I'm interested to hear about anyone's experience?

I understand the difference between an alt-az mount and an EQ mount, but what would that mean for planetary or lunar imaging?

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, but I mounted by 130 heritage on a goto. It was the best thing I ever did, - sometimes I don't bother to align, I just use the handset to keep the object in the FOV.

I tried all sorts of methods for tracking, but none come close to this. I preferred it to the EQ mount I used at one point.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I got the Merlin table top go to in the end but its too small for the heritage so it's going back. The Synscan is still a possibility based on what I've seen.

• 2 months later...

I got the synscan mount in the end. That was over 2 months ago and tonight was the first chance I've had to use it! I have to say that I'm delighted. Setup and alignment was straightforward and I was soon viewing grey fuzzies that I struggle to find under the usual light-polluted skies. Looking foward to getting more practice in before Kielder Starcamp in October!

Archived