Red dot finder or alternative..?

Hi Guys. Was out last night on a mission to spot a couple of galaxies but my red dot finder decided it didn't want to work last night, making my job almost impossible. It often does this and it's not a battery issue. It's the finder that came with the scope.

My question is, are there recommended red dot finders out there which are actually reliable or is there a better alternative still?

Once again I appreciate all your words of wisdom.

Lee

I have been using a cheap skywatcher RDF for a few years and sometimes it won't play ball. It normally just needs the battery removing and re-inserting (and/or a quick thump).

That said, I am going to buy a decent one for my WO megrez and the link below shows one that was recommended on this site.

Finders

I sometimes have the same issue, but now i use a green laser,

the best thing i bought so easy to use and you can buy a simple little holder for it which allows you to align it.

I find my targets much better without bending my back and neck, even my young daughter can guide the scope using it.

I sometimes have the same issue, but now i use a green laser,

the best thing i bought so easy to use and you can buy a simple little holder for it which allows you to align it.

I find my targets much better without bending my back and neck, even my young daughter can guide the scope using it.

been thinking about one of these myself, i have a couple or rdf's that are a bit temperamental!

What you will find is the batterys will only last a few mins when on you scope, just enough to align, they hate the cold, whats the point then i hear you ask.......i was a little peed at this to but now i got them to last all night, i have the 2 ends of the laser (the parts that stick out of it holder) covered in small pipe lagging (perfect fit) and the centre part wrapped in re-usable hand warm, which keeps it nice and warm,

works really well.

Of course when using it a bit of common sence is needed with aircraft etc, when the scope is slewing i turn it off, once stopped turn it on to fine tune,

if you do need it to stay on when looking for your targets just keep an eye out.

No knocks on the door yet.

I also got another one that fits nice and snug in the polar scope of my mount, i just shoot a nice green beam up at polaris and job done, this is great for just visual use, my goto has been much better since i been doing this,

of course for imaging might not be so good, but i have tried this method while imaging Orion with great results, no star trails.

Sacked the Celestron rdf that came with my scope a few weeks ago as it wasn't working properly and bought a Baader Skysurfer III and at long last, an rdf that is reliable, fits most scopes, is easy to set-up and only costs £22/23.

Malc those Celestron red dot finders are shocking really, difficult to align and soooooo bright! - mind you the brighness does help you when it comes to packing away the kit! :):D:D:D:D:D

The laser as a finder is a great idea and I have used it in the past. The problem I had using a laser away from the safety of the garden at a dark site, was that it had the affect of drawing attention to what I was doing and where I was. My point is, if you are using it at a dark site, try to use the laser sparingly as there are a lot of idiots out there.

James

I still use the red dot finder that was supplied with my Skywatcher scope. The battery is still good (can't be using that much power after-all) and if set up correctly I have found it extremely accurate.

The only problem is because it isn't at a right angle like some traditional finders, the angle you have to get your head at to view the red dot can be somewhat awkward, especially toward the zenith.

Have no urgent plans to replace the RDF. It does its job, no frills. You do however have to make sure you are always looking through the RDF with the dot well in the centre, otherwise it can be out.

another thing to remember when finishing for the night

TURN IT OFF!! :)

i have a copy of the WO unfortunatly dont have the base plate but im looking at adapting it, it is a pretty impressive peice of kit i have to tell you

I struggle with Celestron (and other similar) RDF's because I wear glasses and it can be a ****** to find the dot with your head at an uncomfortable angle. Apart from that no real problems except that the dot is so bright it can be hard to see the star I am aligning with. Wish I could turn it down further or make it pulse.

On my Dob I now have both a Telrad (great but a bit bulky for an ED80) and a right angle erecting finder. Someone said you can't have too many finder aids, and I agree.

old_eyes

My RDF has totally given up the ghost. I have come to the conclusion tho that a good view finder is worth every penny. Initially I preferred to spend my money on better EP's or a barlow, but realise that without a good viewfinder, a good EP is a bit wasted, especially for someone like me who lacks a bit of patience.

Now making up mind between telrad and rigel. Although yet to check out the green laser prices. Once again this site has provided some great advise. Thanks.

Archived