NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Really confused with polar alignment

I know I made a post about this recently but have just gone out to properly align my scope.

First thing I came across was adjusting my latitude to get polaris in my scope and it ended up being around the 60degree mark which confused me a little.

So I carried on and found polaris in my scope thinking that was it all done and got ready to start viewing planets and what not.

But I ended up just standing there thinking how am I going to get saturn, for example, in my scope because the scope is pointing up at around 60degrees but saturn is much lower in the sky and I tried adjusting the RA and dec around but couldn't get it anywhere really:confused::)

If the latitude is off like that then probably the tripod wasn't level.

It can be a little confusing to get the scope pointing where you want it to, but it will be possible. Consider that you can point it to all elevations below Polaris simply by rotating around the Dec axis and leaving RA where it was when you were pointing at Polaris. Now rotate RA so that the counterweight shaft is parallel with the ground. You will now be able to reach all elevations by rotating the scope in the Dec axis. So it doesn't matter what the elevation of your target is compared to Polaris.

As a side note, if you're observing visually then a rough polar alignment is quite acceptable. For example, you can dial in your latitude before you start and always leave it locked there. When you go out just point the polar axis at magnetic north and level the mount. That's it! You should get several minutes of tracking this way; indeed it's what many people do for solar imaging.

As a side note, if you're observing visually then a rough polar alignment is quite acceptable. For example, you can dial in your latitude before you start and always leave it locked there. When you go out just point the polar axis at magnetic north and level the mount. That's it! You should get several minutes of tracking this way; indeed it's what many people do for solar imaging.

If not imaging this is all I do. Ensure your tripod is perfectly level, set your latitude adjustment, make sure you are pointing North with your polar axis and off you go.

Remember to ensure your finderscope is set correctly with the OTA. I had no end of problems when I started until I junked my Red Dot Finder for a 'normal' optical finder.

Having read your post again I notice you are using a Astromaster 130 with the EQ mount. This is a capable scope and mount and I owned one. What I did find a problem was 'running out of adjustment' when slewing round. Is this the problem you mean ? You will have to slacken off the locks and point the scope manually in the right direction before locking it off and using the adjustment rods.

You shouldn't be aligning the scope with polaris, it should be the polarscope of the EQ mount being aligned. The tripod does not need to be level and ignore what the latitude dial says as it isn't 100% accurate. As long as polaris is visible inside the polarscope then you will be polar aligned accurately enough for visual work.

I don't think I've leveled my tripod, how do I go about doing that?

I know the problem you mean Polar but I've got used to loosening and tightening the locks.

Where is the polar scope? I've never heard of that before

You don't really need to level an equatorial mount. The Astromaster equatorial mount doesn't have a polar scope so you will only be able to roughly polar align your mount. Meade have a series of instructional videos that you might find helpful here the poaralignment video is towards the end of the list. There is an animated tutorial on how to slew an equatorial mount here

Peter

Thanks a lot, those videos and animations really helped!

Now I've just got the issue of having to loosen the OTAs rings and turn the scope without it losing its balance :)

I normally stand behind mine and take the weight of the OTA on my thigh to stop it slipping backward in the rings. My scope also has a solar warning label on it that the top ring intersects so it's a useful visual reference of where the OTA needs to be in the rings.

there are threads on here that explain using aditional rings or various other methods to stop your ota from sliding out of balance when rotating it. i'll try and find it

its called tube ring bolt hole size. hope this helps.

scott

About the rotating issue, I had the idea of putting a strip of electrical tape along the length of the scope and marking the OTA position needed to balance the various EP/camera combinations I use most of the time. Will let you all know how this works out.

Archived