Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

have i got this right?

richbyers

i have seen both the iss and iridium flares several times, however coming from some time out from astronomy i want to make sure i have this correct...ISS will always be constantly bright across the sky and will last longer, whereas flares go from nothing to bright to nothing again fairly rapidly (like 5/6 secs) and you will not be able to view them from one side of the sky to the other?

thanks

That is more or less right.

The ISS could go into the earths shadow while looking at it and so "disappear", or at least get a lot dimmer. Heavens above will give a picture and indicate when (if) it goes into the earths shadow from your observation position.

Once an iridium flare has flared you could probably see/track the satellite itself like any other satellite, easier if you picked up the flare in binoculars.

• 4 weeks later...
yeah i went out to see that, clouds everywhere though....im busy trying to test the new app i have that tells the times

What is that app called? I don't suppose it's "Sputnik". I've tried this one out and it's pretty good, my phone beeps at me in advance for any upcoming satellites coming in view. Pretty handy.

What is that app called? I don't suppose it's "Sputnik". I've tried this one out and it's pretty good, my phone beeps at me in advance for any upcoming satellites coming in view. Pretty handy.

Nice - that's good you can set reminders.

Have got that one, but just not used it yet ........

Archived