NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Converting a fork mount C11 to dovetail mount?

i guess it would be similar to convert one of the meade ETX's to a dovetail (somthing iv been considering for the 70AT

i guess as long as you have tube rings tight enough it should be ok really, but they might have to be custom jobbies

I think it involves undoing six screws and fitting a suitable dovetail....

That's about it.

I use a C11 OTA with a Losmandy dovetail on a NEQ6pro.

I am intrigued by that second, red anodised instrument/camera on the back of your scope. Is it some kind of spectrometer?

Regards adding the dovetail rail- if necessary I would drill & tap the C11 tube directly, I just wondered if it was pre prepared for such mounting?

If the Celestron tubes are bolted to the forks in a similar way to Meade then it will be a straightforward job - just take your time when separating the tube from the forks in order to prevent scratching the paintwork.

Then all you need to do is get yourself a dovetail from one of these suppliers: D Series Dovetails or Farpoint - Products - "D" Dovetails & Accessories

You shouldn't need to drill the OTA, they usually have the screw holes already in place.

Edited by r3i

I deforked a 8inch meade it was simple enough as the forks detached from the center base plate.

My C11 is just like Merlin66 with a losmandy dovetail, I dont have all the goodies hanging off the end though !!!

When I de-forked my Lx200 scopes...just loosen one of the fork arms...and the OTA slides out.

The dovetail fits the existing holes - no drilling required.

(The small black "bar" is a safety clamp - which allows you to position and located the OTA on the mount saddle without the fear of it slipping or sliding. Available from Astrodevelopments...their website seems to be down at the moment)

The instrument at the rear ("Ozzie Shiraz" colour) is a Spectra-L200 spectroscope, fitted with an ATik16 guide camera and an ATiK314L imaging camera.

Edited by Merlin66

When I de-forked my Lx200 scopes...just loosen one of the fork arms...and the OTA slides out.

The dovetail fits the existing holes - no drilling required.

(The small black "bar" is a safety clamp - which allows you to position and located the OTA on the mount saddle without the fear of it slipping or sliding. Available from Astrodevelopments...their website seems to be down at the moment)

The instrument at the rear ("Ozzie Shiraz" colour) is a Spectra-L200 spectroscope, fitted with an ATik16 guide camera and an ATiK314L imaging camera.

Ah, now my LX200 fork arms were cast in one.

Olly

• 7 years later...