• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided that, with the transit of Venus coming up, I should buy A solar filter for my scope because no matter how big my scope is It would be very unwise to look at the sun. Not to mention the Transit of Venus is a spectacle that won't occur again in our lifetime.

So in short I would like to know:

1) How do I know that a solar filter is compatable with my scope?

and

2) How do I know that it is safe to use?

P.S Do Solar filters fit onto the eyepiece or the objective lens?

I've decided that, with the transit of Venus coming up, I should buy A solar filter for my scope because no matter how big my scope is It would be very unwise to look at the sun. Not to mention the Transit of Venus is a spectacle that won't occur again in our lifetime.

So in short I would like to know:

1) How do I know that a solar filter is compatable with my scope?

and

2) How do I know that it is safe to use?

P.S Do Solar filters fit onto the eyepiece or the objective lens?

1: the best way is to make your own filter from some solar film ( firstlight optics i got mine from) it is fairly easy to make a filter.

2: the solar film is fragile'ish so you have a check list before you use scope. holding your filter to the sun in hand you can see if any holes (pinholes) appear. then you can fit to scope.

solar filters fit over the end of your telescope, like a dust cap. they block the incoming light and stop telescope overheating. you must also REMOVE or cover your finderscope with solarfilm filter. most of us just remove the finderscope.

i have just got into using filters. both color and none color.

color filters affect contrast. some help bring out features on planets and likes.

a moon filter cuts down the brightness, my moon filter is a 25% it cuts down the brightness by 25%. so a full moon will be 25% less brighter using the filter

H-alpha H-beta OIII SSII are narrowband filters these let you see contrasts in DSO's these tend to become expensive, very expensive

IR/UV filters, block UV and IR and mainly used for astro imaging with cameras and webcams.

Basacaly you have to make a holder for the solar filter as long as its properly done its fine and really safe. Personally I wouldn't look with out a Coronado but that's me. I have a solar filter for my new refractor but for me im gonna image with a webcam but there's loads of members who view with it perfectly. So it is 100%safe as long as its secured properly. Merlin_66 is a solar expert he will be able to help. There's also loads of DIY threads on making the solar filter fit in the DIY section :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how do I know If the solar filter will fit on my telescope?

I found this filter on FLO

First Light Optics - AstroZap Baader Solar Filter

But it comes In so many sizes! Which one would fit my scope?

If you measure the OD size of your aperture and visit a crafts shop you can obtain an adjustable wooden embroidery hoop as they are made in many sizes from about 4" dia working upwards in I think inch increments, it is then just a matter of obtaining the Baader Solar film and attaching it to the hoop, just one idea to make your own, as the hoops are quite cheap to buy, the same goes for helping to fix homemade Bhatinov masks etc :D

John.

Archived