Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I have been looking for a dark spot myself. I am just outside the towns and so don't suffer too badly with LP.

The only decent place I have found is by Camer Park near Cobham. There is probably somewhere better South of Sittingbourne, a darker part of Kent.

I have thought about getting a Kent stargazers group together on this forum but thought it best if I could find a reliable location first.

Why not look at going Headcorn way for a dark site or further afield towards Pluckley or Goudhurst/Lamberhurst?

Have you tried approaching South East Water to ask if you can use the carpark at Bewl?

There us also a big field behind Bewl they may let you use.

Why not look at going Headcorn way for a dark site or further afield towards Pluckley or Goudhurst/Lamberhurst?

Have you tried approaching South East Water to ask if you can use the carpark at Bewl?

There us also a big field behind Bewl they may let you use.

Yep, definaitely darker down that way. It'll be interesting to see what the feedback is from the West Kent area.

If you're around Camer Park, try Harvel village green or, even better, Vigo Rugby club field. Just buy a beer or a coffee before they close up for the evening; they will appreciate the free security.

Hi from midkentastro.org.uk.

I don't have a meter, so judge by eye. LP is not good around Harvel (in my view) although I have no direct lighting. Glow is 20°above the horizon to the South (Maidstone) and North East (Medway), 30-40° to the North (London). Transparency is variable, on a clear night I get 30-40° of milky way directly overhead, and some faint indication of the signus rift on exceptional occasions.

Our observatory in Canterbury is inside the city limits (and so is polluted) but the transparency is notably better.

Members of OAS (Orpington) hold DSC's out in the stix around Rye and there is reputedly some good quality sky on the coast near Dungeoness (but CCD noise could be a problem there:)).

Bredhurst is of course close to Medway towns, but the location behind the village hall is surprisingly good (see meetings guide - if it's clear afterwards we normally have scopes out).

Depends how far out you want to go. You could try bluebell hill, not very dark really but nice views and good all round visibility. Or if you go out through Hoo and round the back of the army barracks its not to bad (for medway anyway). Or if you are prepared to travle then driving down to romeny marshes is nice and dark. In fact just a tad further on next to camber is kents official darkest spot.

Hi from midkentastro.org.uk.

I don't have a meter, so judge by eye. LP is not good around Harvel (in my view) although I have no direct lighting. Glow is 20°above the horizon to the South (Maidstone) and North East (Medway), 30-40° to the North (London). Transparency is variable, on a clear night I get 30-40° of milky way directly overhead, and some faint indication of the signus rift on exceptional occasions.

Our observatory in Canterbury is inside the city limits (and so is polluted) but the transparency is notably better.

Members of OAS (Orpington) hold DSC's out in the stix around Rye and there is reputedly some good quality sky on the coast near Dungeoness (but CCD noise could be a problem there:)).

Bredhurst is of course close to Medway towns, but the location behind the village hall is surprisingly good (see meetings guide - if it's clear afterwards we normally have scopes out).

Yes, I do mean to rejoin MKAS after an enormous hiatus (nearly 20 years).

Harvel sounds slightly better than home (edge of Cliffe Woods). I have had a good sky near Pett Level on the South coast.

Hopefully if this thread generates a bit more interest, it will be worth setting up a West Kent group.

I used to live in Sturry and i have to say that the LP was pretty horrific , especially when Polo Farms floodlights were on.Added to that just before we moved Thanet Earth was just coming on line :)

We used to go camping in Biddenden and the sky wasnt too bad there , spent some time down on the Marsh as well and i think that will be the darkest place in Kent (just take your tin foil suits :))

I used to live in Ruckinge just outside Ashford, there is a fantastic site next to a fishing lake near the junction of Bethersden Rd and Redbrook St, nice car park and a friendly farmer. Also just on the edge of the Marsh at Ruckinge there are some good spots along the canal, the hills behind cut out a huge amount of lp.

Archived