NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can the rain damage my scope? (Skyliner 150p)

The weather forecast for where i live tonight is clear skies but with patches of rain, if i was to take my scope into my garden and it started raining could it damage my scope or optics?

i wouldnt leave it out- i mean if its gets a bit wet before you realise its raining and then bring it in it wont be the end of the world-esepcially given its a dob, i once left my scope out in the rain for about a hour and it was fine, but yeah i personally wouldnt

rich

Well i sit right next to my garage so i could take it in a soon as it started, but if it does get a tiny bit wet will it leave smudges on the mirror and make the viewing bad?

Cheers

Have you got any tarpaulin you could cover it with just incase?

Bit of tarp over it with a bungee around the bottom and jobs a good un'.

I'm not sure, I should have something i could use in my garage somewhere, thanks for the quick answers =)

Have you got any tarpaulin you could cover it with just incase?

Bit of tarp over it with a bungee around the bottom and jobs a good un'.

I use the BBQ cover (think it was about a fiver) if i've set up early and don't want to wait outside in the freezing cold. (don't get to have many bbq's anyway)

I got caught out on a night with patches of cloud, was ok for viewing and the clouds looked harmless, then as one had nearly passed over some rain came from it, quickly put the scope horizontal to stop drops getting on the primary, got the caps on and took it inside.

i think the smudges are youre biggest fear- i mean unless you have electrics on your scope theres nothing that water will break- but if its gets wet, and leaves smudges- its just going to make you want to/need to clean it, which will be a laborious task- so its best to cover

If the mount is powered you wouldn't want to get rain in it, although removing the power will prevent most damage and a bit of WD40 goes a long way-but not on the optics.

If the scope gets wet dry it out then clean the optics.

Certainly on nights when there is a good chance of a downpour evey so often, a tarp is a good idea. Its quicker to cover the scope with a tarp then it is to dismantle and move indoors.

A few drops of rain will not harm a scope (how many of us have had ice on the OTA in winter?). You just really do not want rain drops on the mirrors. They leave water spots.

Any kind of waterproof cover should do the trick be it a BBQ cover,tarp,motorcycle cover etc. Just for those times when there is a bit of cloud around and you can quickly cover the scope if it starts to rain.

Archived