Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Solar Scope?

Hi all,

I've decided to try my hand at solar observation and imaging.

I've spent a while researching on-line, but admit to still being confused by some of the options available.

Bearing cost in mind, I think I've narrowed my options, but am still unsure which one to go for:

• Coronado SolarMax II 60, single stack, BF10 or BF15. What are the advantages of BF15 over BF10? Do I really need it?
  • Lunt LS60T 1200, single stack, either tilt tune or pressure tune. Is there a significant difference between the two?
  • I also have a Megrez 72 that I was planning to sell, but it might be an option too. What would I need to convert this for solar use? How would it perform compared to the dedicated solar scopes?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

I took the plunge on a 60mm Solarmax II on the last Telescope House promotion. I don't have any knowledge of the Lunt but I am sure others will comment.

My comments on the Solarmax II 60 are as follows,

Compared with my old 40mm Solarmax, the 60mm is as easy to use. (It is actually the reason i went wirh the 60 this time as i was already familiar with the brand). The focuser is still the draw tube refined by the circular focuser - functional if not pretty. I do like the new tuning arm and I find this has more control and is much easier to use versus the 40's dial. It is over a year since I sold the 40, so no direct comparison on views. The extra aperture does, as you would expect, give excellent views. Unfortunately the 90 is out if my range for now.

Re imaging, I only dabble, but my understanding is that the higher the BF, the better for imaging - mine is a 10, and I have been pleased with my efforts so far.

I have already put on a Losmandy dovetail which I much prefer to the standard shoe. I have looked at possibly getting a better focuser as I will definately be keeping this scope, so I am waiting for Ron at Moonlight to get back to me.

Like I said, I have no experience of the Lunt, and I am sure it is very good. I don't think you will be disappointed by either.

Regarding your third option, the Megrez 72, you would need the 60mm Coronado front etalon and a blocking filter as a set. In my experience, these sets used in conjunction with a good telescope, such as the Megrez, seem to give better performance than the dedicated solar scope, they can also be removed to allow the instrument to be used normally. However, I seem to recall that the sets are similarly priced to the complete dedicated unit.

Thanks both.

One thing that has made me lean slightly towards the Lunt (bearing in mind that I've not looked through either scope) is the reported 'sweet spot' on the SM - not such a big deal for visual, but maybe a pain for imaging?

If I went the Megrez route, would this be a non-issue due to the etalon being external? Or have I completely misunderstood it all.

The possibility of getting even better performance for a similar price is quite attractive.

Thanks Merlin,

The converted refractor option is looking more and more attractive.

The Lunt add ons look very expensive - probably cheaper to buy an LS60 - so I'd most likely go the Coronado route.

Is there anywhere in the UK that supplies these?

So far I can only find complete scopes for sale. Perhaps importing is the answer?

Archived