Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy magazines.

wheresthetorch?

Now, I've been thinking. Does anyone else guiltily flick past the 'science news' sections of the astronomy magazines before moving on to more practical articles about observing and equipment? Don't get me wrong - I consider myself averagely intelligent and can (usually) understand (most of) the scientific articles, but they just don't really appeal as much.

Reading through the threads on this forum, there is far more interest in techniques and equipment than there is in science, yet the astronomy press seems to give more attention to scientific articles. This is changing a little with the increased interest in astrophotography, but the scientific side still dominates.

It's got me thinking that there's probably room in the market for a 'practical astronomy' magazine focusing more on techniques and equipment, with just the occasional bit of 'science' to put things in context. After all, I suspect most fishing magazines have more to say about choice of rod and how to catch fish than they do on swim bladders and scale formation.

Anyway, just a thought. Be interested in others' views. :)

Now, I've been thinking. Does anyone else guiltily flick past the 'science news' sections of the astronomy magazines before moving on to more practical articles about observing and equipment? Don't get me wrong - I consider myself averagely intelligent and can (usually) understand (most of) the scientific articles, but they just don't really appeal as much.

Yes, completely - which is the reason I don't subscribe to any of them.

My hobby is astronomy: using my telescope to look at (and image) stuff. That's what I want to read about: people doing that, ways I could do it better, hints tips and tricks to improve with, news and reviews about equipment I could use.

Those are the things I'd be prepared to pay to read about.

Now I appreciate that other people have other interests, but personally I won't buy a magazine about space, rockets, cosmology, satellites, life on other planets or discoveries about things that I couldn't see or image. But for me, those simply aren't my interests, so I don't feel the need to buy articles about them.

Fortunately the internet and sites like SGL :) has now surpassed pretty much all the paper/printed magazines for content, timeliness, relevance, independent reviews and authoritative information.

yes and no :) what i mean by that is that i am studying astronomy, so i feel it very useful to my own education to read them, and to take the time to make sure i understand what is being said

however when it comes to the real enjoyment reading i do go for the practical articles

and oh....im also a sucker for nice pictures....to many distractions haha

rich

Im a geek at heart, and have a stack of most astronomy mags in the bathroom, in my desk and in my bed side table. I read them cover to cover really! LOL

Dont get me wrong though, i have the odd occasional "Wow pictures!" moment lol find me someone who doesnt though! :) lol

Im a geek at heart, and have a stack of most astronomy mags in the bathroom, in my desk and in my bed side table. I read them cover to cover really! LOL

Dont get me wrong though, i have the odd occasional "Wow pictures!" moment lol find me someone who doesnt though! :) lol

I must admit to being with Eddy on this one, I find all off astronomy interesting though not so much the articles on spacecraft etc, but anything to do with astro discoveries, images and equipment, then I'm your man. Love it all!

i admire your honesty!! :)

okay , i do read a fair chunk of the mags, but i agree with you guys,the indepth science looses me somewhat . i like the question and answer sections, monthly observing section and so on.

i once borrowed a copy of hawkins book "brief history of time"

i enjoyed and was rivited with the opening two chapters that i read on the first evening. after that i was totally at a loss. so i just kept the book for a couple of weeks before giving it back, just to make out i read it all :):o:D

I'II stick my hand up and admit I'm just too much on a newbie to understand the in depth science articles.

My mind is constantly trying to comprehend the shear scale of what is out there, I'm taking the first baby steps into a very well researched field of science.

At the moment I'd class myself as a telescope user with time and experience maybe I'II class myself as an amateur astronomer so no I don't pay too much attention to the 'science news' section.

I like geeky stuff. I find it really useful to know about the object I'm viewing when in standing in a field. Just gives the object a bit more meaning to me rather than a faint fuzzy :)

Absolutely, doesn't seem worthwhile looking at say, the Orion nebula, if you don't really know what you are looking at. When you know what it is, how far it is, then you can start to appreciate what you are seeing through the EP. Well, that's my thoughts on it anyway :)

Archived