How do you track the Sun?

Astrosurf

I've just started solar observing/imaging with Baader Solar Safety Film but can't get the scope to track well, even with setting my scope to north as accurately as possible. I'm probably being thick as usual, but can someone help?

Alexxx

daft question hun - but have you changed the handset tracking rate to solar ??

Er . . . Nope! I didn't know it had the setting. I guess I should read my manual! :)

Is there anything else I need to do?

You can tell I'm a newb! I'm super careful though, so don't worry about that.

Is there anything else I need to do?

You can tell I'm a newb! I'm super careful though, so don't worry about that.

I know yoou'll be careful !

I have trouble with imaging, as it's obviously daylight & can't see the pc screen well !!

Blackout material / something to put over your head / screen.

Of course, make sure everything else has a cover / caps on.

I know yoou'll be careful !

I have trouble with imaging, as it's obviously daylight & can't see the pc screen well !!

Blackout material / something to put over your head / screen.

Of course, make sure everything else has a cover / caps on.

At SGL4 someone had their laptop in a plastic crate lying on its side with holes cut out for the cables and a blanket over the top. Works brilliantly! I must get to the DIY store . . .

The finderscope stays in its box. I'm that paranoid! :)

At SGL4 someone had their laptop in a plastic crate lying on its side with holes cut out for the cables and a blanket over the top. Works brilliantly! I must get to the DIY store . . .

The finderscope stays in its box. I'm that paranoid! :)

I like the crate idea - will have a look at that.

best being paranoid, than not ...........

I like the crate idea - will have a look at that.

best being paranoid, than not ...........

I might even use a solid plastic box and drill holes as that might mean I don't have to use a blanket unless it's very bright. I assume the laptop won't overheat as there'll be enough air circulation?? I guess a black box might absorb too much heat as it is. Maybe a reflective cover would help. Will let you know!

Daft isn't it?

At night you are tripping over everything and in the day you also can't see what you are doing :)

Black out crate works well but it can get hot under a blanket.

If you have a shed and can setup next to it, that works well. Sit in the shed, in the shade while your scope sits outside imaging away.

I've seen one setup with a shed with a south facing door. Scope pokes out the door with some blackout curtains covering the rest of the door opening.

And I think it was Jamie on here that used a tent.

Cheers

Ian

The difference between solar and siderreal is only about four minutes per day so, whatever your issue is, I very much doubt it is that. I never bother to set my mount to solar because a) I can never remember what buttons to press and in what order (Takahashi inscrutable as ever) and :) because it isn't worth bothering. The sun sits there for ages and ages, I image with the setup, I wander off and come back... Four minutes in 24 hours is not a lot.

Olly

If its drifting that fast then something is very wrong either with your alignment or trackind speed. I leave my own HEQ5 on siderial and can track the Sun for an hour or so before I have to tweak the RA motor button.

Are you just switching your mount on? It doesn't track at all unless you go through the menu routine. :)

I suspect Peter has it. The only mount I have which tracks when you turn it on is the Tak. What a great idea that is, because you don't always want to go through the full routine.

Olly

Archived