NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The constilations

Ganymede12

Originally, I thought that If you left earth and landed on another planet, lets say Mars, the constilations would be different - as in not the constilations that you can see from earth. However, I went on the CAS's Solar system scope (which is dead fun by the way) and it showed the solar system within a dome with the constilations on the inside face of the dome. and it made me think If you increased the earth's size to expand beyond the moon then the view of the constilations wouldn't change so why should they if you just landed on the Mars? isn't that just one step up from the moon? Does anyone know if any of the Apollo astronaughts saw familiar consilations on the moon? Is my theory correct?

P.SW here is a link to the ultra fun Solar system Scope!

Cardiff Astronomical Society - Home Page

The constellations wouldn't change a great deal from anywhere within the solar system.

If you think about it the Earth to sun distance is what 93million miles? So we are 186million miles from the position the Earth was in 6 months ago - we don't notice any change.

The moon is only 250000 miles away, so the view would be exactly the same as on Earth.

Cheers

Ant

Archived