Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What can I expect?

If I get a 150mm F5 Reflector, the proper mount for AP and hook up my DSLR and take multiple shots etc, what can I expect? By this I mean I dont have webcams and laptops hooked up and 1'000's of dollars worth of gadgetry, will I still get some excellent pictures?

This is week 3 of my mulling over different scopes etc and I'm leaning towards this but with a go-to tracking mount of good quality. Thanks for any advice...again! :icon_salut:

with good polar alignment you should be good for 2min subs and with 2min subs you can pick up some decent data in nebulas and galaxys you just need about an hours worth before you start to build a decent image but theres been many great images produced with a 150p

with good polar alignment you should be good for 2min subs and with 2min subs you can pick up some decent data in nebulas and galaxys you just need about an hours worth before you start to build a decent image but theres been many great images produced with a 150p

Sounds good enough for me, will it also be good for planetary viewing with the kids? Thanks! :icon_salut:

If I get a 150mm F5 Reflector, the proper mount for AP and hook up my DSLR and take multiple shots etc, what can I expect? By this I mean I dont have webcams and laptops hooked up and 1'000's of dollars worth of gadgetry, will I still get some excellent pictures?

Gadgets madgets [?!], for wide field and just a camera I'd be looking in this area..

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/48674-dso-imaging-budget.html

or possibly..

Astronomy Boy: Barn Door Tracker

Please don't get caught up with the idea that a lot money has to be spent for AP,

many good pictures can be had with very little kit. :icon_salut:

Gadgets madgets [?!], for wide field and just a camera I'd be looking in this area..

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/48674-dso-imaging-budget.html

or possibly..

Astronomy Boy: Barn Door Tracker

Please don't get caught up with the idea that a lot money has to be spent for AP,

many good pictures can be had with very little kit. :icon_salut:

Just had an email back, the mount is an EQ3 SynScan go-to mount with steel legs, is that a good one for my needs?

The way i see it is if you have big heavy kit you less likely to be bothered after a days work to set it all up then rip it all down so it depends on what you call acceptable. The more time you spend with the scope the better/ easier it'll become.

I think a good idea is to search the forum for people with the same setup and see the results they get.

With an Eq3 mount although at the lower end of the ladder, very good result can be attained, so have a look around and see other pictures using this kit and ask if you would be happy with the result ..i would be :icon_salut:

If you have a look at my Deep sky album pictures, these were all take with the SkyWatcher Explorer 150P f/5. The earlier ones on an EQ3-2 (ali tripod, unguided) and the later ones on a guided EQ6 (Atlas). The image coments should say which equipment was used.

In your OP you said 'the proper mount for AP', if you really want the best results you should be looking at the HEQ5 (Sirius) mount as the starting point preferably with an autoguider.

Yes, it should do very well with viewing.

Atlas,

Having looked at the 3 pictures in your signature block of Mars, Jupiter & Saturn. What telescope are you using to get that detail?

The way i see it is if you have big heavy kit you less likely to be bothered after a days work to set it all up then rip it all down so it depends on what you call acceptable.

This is why I think I'm only ready for a Celestron 6se. Just plonk it down and look, and take the odd picture of the moon etc. How long will I be out for in the winter nights setting up the 150mm etc? Too long I'd say!

Atlas,

Having looked at the 3 pictures in your signature block of Mars, Jupiter & Saturn. What telescope are you using to get that detail?

Those were taken with a 10" newtonian. Don't use those as a guide though, I have had poor viewing conditions for the last month or so. There are many folks here with much smaller scopes pulling much better detail out of thiers.:icon_salut:

Those were taken with a 10" newtonian. Don't use those as a guide though, I have had poor viewing conditions for the last month or so. There are many folks here with much smaller scopes pulling much better detail out of thiers.:icon_salut:

I would be interested to know what scopes they might be, because in the near future I will be looking at upgrading.

I would be interested to know what scopes they might be, because in the near future I will be looking at upgrading.

Skymax 127 with a barlow and extension tube is the starting point for this sort of thing. The main thing is to use a high frame rate camera or webcam.

Skymax 127 with a barlow and extension tube is the starting point for this sort of thing. The main thing is to use a high frame rate camera or webcam.

And this would give me the detail and size that is shown in Atlas`s sig block? What do you mean by extension tube? Just one thing, I am not too interested in the photography side of things as yet, I just want to improve the size/quality of the image I see.

One particular scope I think I would be interested in is the Celestron Advanced C8 N-GT.

This is what I want to achieve: HERE Is this really achievable on an Explorer 150P as RikMcRae states or have I read it wrong. Because these images are brilliant.

Visually, seeing the planets as they appear in Atlas' signiture is possible certainly with a 10" Newtonian. I have one :icon_salut: Mars doesn't appear that big, in fact none of the planets look very big in the eyepiece, but the detail and colours are visible, in fact on a good night, in sharper detail than than can be seen in those images.

With my deep sky images, photographically, that is what I managed with a bog standard 150P and canon DSLR. Most of the images using an unguided EQ3-2 but the better more recent ones a guided NEQ6 Pro mount. Visually, no scope will allow you to see these objects looking like that. The human eye is just not sensitive enough.

If you have a look at some of my sketches it gives a better impression of what can actually be seen through an eyepiece rather than captured with a camera.

This is what I want to achieve: HERE Is this really achievable on an Explorer 150P as RikMcRae states or have I read it wrong. Because these images are brilliant.

This is a brilliant example of what can be achieved without a NASA budget - and I find it really inspirational!

The thing to remember is that it takes more than just the right kit to get results like this - it takes practice, dedication, patience and experience. Not only in the capture of all the data that goes into those images, but in the processing of that data to get the finished result.

Hats off to Rik - as an owner of a 150P and a Nikon DSLR, I have yet to put the two together and start off in astrophotography, but looking at those results is certainly a great inspiration to do so. :icon_salut:

Visually, seeing the planets as they appear in Atlas' signiture is possible certainly with a 10" Newtonian. I have one :) Mars doesn't appear that big, in fact none of the planets look very big in the eyepiece, but the detail and colours are visible, in fact on a good night, in sharper detail than than can be seen in those images.

With my deep sky images, photographically, that is what I managed with a bog standard 150P and canon DSLR. Most of the images using an unguided EQ3-2 but the better more recent ones a guided NEQ6 Pro mount. Visually, no scope will allow you to see these objects looking like that. The human eye is just not sensitive enough.

If you have a look at some of my sketches it gives a better impression of what can actually be seen through an eyepiece rather than captured with a camera.

Ah so its the camera thats doing the work then? I have to say those pictures a blumming brilliant. Ok last question. I have a Fuji Finepix s6500fd HERE How can I attach it to my Plossl EP`s?

If your looking at magnifying the size of the planets, you can always throw a x2 or a x3 barlow on your scope. The issue you will find is...atmospheric conditions will limit you to around x200 mag. On the rare excellent seeing condition night you may get a bit more. (around x300)

With imaging, you can push the envelope even father since your stacking thousands of images on top of each other to form one detailed image. (It combinds all the details of the pictures into on image. After doing that, software processing adds color and contrast and shading.

This is why I think I'm only ready for a Celestron 6se. Just plonk it down and look, and take the odd picture of the moon etc. How long will I be out for in the winter nights setting up the 150mm etc? Too long I'd say!

Around 20 mins in all, although its easier to set up the 6se it'll still need adjusting somewhat - levels and to a certain extent pointing in the right direction as in north. I believe they are fairly automated concerning the finer alignments, just a case of hitting enter a few times after confirming the stars are in the FOV.

I've little knowledge of them but no doubt other owners will help/confirm/deny.:)

PM'ed

Cheers

Glen

Archived