Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Decent SLR for 130m reflector?

I'm looking at slr's and other mid range digital cameras to use with my SW Explorer130p and other than finding one Dslr (A Canon) I dont really know what I'm looking for in a camera. For a few hundred quid does anyone know of any good ones for my particular scope?

Mostly in the cat. i'm looking in its mostly slr's that are digital or the snapshot type (which seem not up to the job - i may be wrong. Anyone help?)

Ta muchly.

I have a Canon 1100D and it's a nice camera, I haven't yet tried it for astronomy but there seems to be a few on here have them. What mount do you have your scope on? The standard mount will struggle a lot with the extra weight.

yeah, its the basic Synscan AZ goto mount. And the canon you mentioned is the very same model - approx 500 bucks - so i take it thats a reasonable camera to aim for. Its a catologue so the range is limited, though they have a few decent digi-slr's on offer.

Thanks for your input on the matter :icon_salut:

Cheers.

Jay.

Yeah it seems decent to me, I got mine at comet with the image stabilising lens, a bag and a decent sd card for under £400. They sell them with and without the IS lens but without it should be a lot cheaper, the mk II lens is IS the mk III lens is not as is quite a bit cheaper, or you can buy the body on it's own for less again but not much less.

you can get a lot of good dslr deals for around £500 or you can get a better level if you buy body only.

I have a Nikon D90 that I have had for a few years now and have realy enjoyed learning on and using for all sorts of photography including recently astro. The body alone for D90 is around £500 just now.

I have found that canon bodies tend to be lighter than nikon so you may want to take that into consideration for your mount.

You'll have no problem with the Canon 1100D bring used for AP. I had a look at one a while back to use for AP but it's a lot lower spec than my 40D.

Another brand to look at is Sony. Their CMOS CCD is very good and very sensitive. I have one in a compact and it'll shoot in total darkness.

Nice one for the replies. My main problem is i'm buying from a catalogue (credit) so cant really shop around for other deals, My options are from three or four cameras. The canon one was the only result for DSLR but it seems just like the other SLR's seeing as they are digital also (this point confuses me - the difference between a DSLR and a digital SLR?) but there are a few in my price range in the catalogue all similar to the canon, I read something about a lens kit but dont know what particular extras are provided. Mainly i just want the option to use it with a t-ring for afocal and possibly prime focus but dont know enough to confidently choose a appropriate model.

Thanks again,

Jay

You will have a problem getting focus with a Canon DSLR on a SW 130 I think. I could not get mine to focus at all and you need to move the scope mirror up the tube to achieve focus. A bit drastic! I tried with a barlow but it was not possible.

Ah that does sound drastic! Glad you brought it up there, thank you. This link is the catologue thing i'm looking in, there isnt much choice but some of the cameras seem okay.

Canon EOS 1100D SLR Camera Body Black | Jacamo

models:

Canon EOS 1100D SLR Camera Body Black

£520.00

Fuji FinePix HS-20 Digital Camera Black

£428.00

Nikon 14MP SLR Camera 18-55mm Lens Kit

£599.00

Sony 16MP NEX-c3 SLR Camera - Black

£606.00

And these are the ones I'm thinking of buying. Do any other ones have similar problems with a scope like mine?

Thank you for your help in the matter,

Much appreciated - Jay

Hmm, looking back over the page it seems that some of the cameras are just the body, while others say they are LIKE a DSLR, so now I really dont know what would be the best option. Are DSLR's and SLR's the only type of camera (besides old style and snapshot digitals) that work with telescopes in this way?

I like the idea of both afocal and prime focus which is why I wanted an SLR, is that right?

Yeah, that is a good point. Although other than the philps 900spc I dont know of any webcams that are as good or even usable with a telescope. They arent really made for astro are they? I saw a 'webcam kit' for £52 on the back of a sky at night magazine, it might be worth a go.

Cheers,

Jay

Nice1, thats a huge help. Definitely a place to start. If it takes a while i guess clamping a normal digital camera to an eyepiece will do for now, gotn some good moonshots that way.

Maybe that way I can just get a reasonable snapshot camera until a decent webcam comes along. I appreciate your help as the scope is a specific type and you have experience with it, thats the kind of thing that makes the most difference.

Many thanks, Malorcasaint.

Jay

Nothing wrong with your 'scope... you can't do long exposure photography of DSO's with an Alt/Az mount.... it's the mount that limits you to 'snaps' & webcams. A sturdy EQ mount is needed with tracking..like the HEQ5 pro

Just had a look at your link, you can tell the catalogue couldnt realy give a penny for its input into what a camera can do.

Anyhoo if I were you I would be tempted to get the nikon d3100. Its a cracking camera and excellent introduction into dslr photography.

You can get extension tubes to connect the dslr to the scop to help acheive focus. I have had mine attached to my 127mak using just the barlow adapter with and without the 2x optic attached and achieved focus no problem each time. You can also buy ep's that have t-ring threads on them, Ive just ordered a zoom 7-21mm version of 1 of these but its not arrived yet for me to say if its any good or not.

Be careful, the problem with gaining focus on the 130 sounds like it may be due to not being able to move the focuser far enough inward. Then you may have to move the mirror up.

From what I read when buying a DSLR for AP, Canon cameras seem to be the ones to go for there is more information, software, filters and knowledge on here for Canon's than any other make of camera.

I think you will have to look at how much weight the mount is rated for too, a DSLR may be too heavy. Maybe you could start with a Webcam, maybe one that has been modded for long exposure AP if you want it for DSO's as well as planetary.

Oh and Buy Steve Richards book - Every Photon counts.

yeah, i hear that! the prices suck so much because the catalogue is giving me credit. Otherwise it would be years before i could get anything close to that type of hardware. And as for my mount, my first reaction to it was negative but since then i have managed to track objects like mars, moon and jupiter long enough to get reasonable shots - probably a few mins of webcam would do it - so i dont stress too much over the instability an inaccuracy but truth is i do need a better set-up. Another long wait to save the dollar for it, though.

Thanks ppl for all the input, some decent advice can save a noob hundreds, much appreciated!

Jay.

yeah, i hear that! the prices suck so much because the catalogue is giving me credit. Otherwise it would be years before i could get anything close to that type of hardware. And as for my mount, my first reaction to it was negative but since then i have managed to track objects like mars, moon and jupiter long enough to get reasonable shots - probably a few mins of webcam would do it - so i dont stress too much over the instability an inaccuracy but truth is i do need a better set-up. Another long wait to save the dollar for it, though.

Thanks ppl for all the input, some decent advice can save a noob hundreds, much appreciated!

Jay.

Tracking is less of an issue with planetary, as these tend to be lots of short exposures taken as a video, which are then stacked in Registax (other stacking software is available). 20 secs of exposure at 30fps gives 600 images to stack.

Is your interest is planets/solar/lunar, you would be best going for a webcam imaging solution and save for the more expensive equipment required for DSO's in the future.

Archived