Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CoolBox DSLR....

eddy

Are they worth the time/money/weight? :D

Just having a read about and saw some coolbox mods which a) look useful and B) look as though they'd do a good job...

Would it be worth making 1? I have loads of computer parts here, old Heatsinks/fans/cases/PSU's etc etc just wanting some opinions really ;)

As from what i have read/seen the camera itself needs no modification other than getting a different battery, if thats the case, you'll find me in the garage later! :icon_salut: lol

It's made a huge difference to my DSLR imaging Eddy. I followed Gary Honis' guide here, I've made two coolers now with different grades of aluminium sheet and the purer grade definitely gets cooler, I used 1050A grade which if fairly pure.

At SGL7 it was running at -11C, with the EXIF temperature reading -2C while shooting constant 420s subs. I've found that if I can get the EXIF temp down below 12C the banding problem that plagued my 450D disappears and the noise is generally much lower. I do get dew / ice on the filter / coma corrector if I don't heat the focuser drawtube, so bear in mind the cost of a dew controller and band if you haven't got the kit already.

Cheers,

Ian

Ok no problem, deffo worth doing then! :icon_salut:

Will be looking into it :D Thanks for the reply, sounds like you have had some good results with it. Dew controllers on next on the list and i have planned for 3 now:

Focus/Draw Tube

Main Scope

Guide Scope

Think that should do it! ;)

Thanks again

Yes..

I've come across a few sites about it, apparently you make a 2 chamber box and put a fairly small quantity of DI in one and the camera in the other.

Sounds like a lot of faff.....

I might go down the budget cooler peltier box route though later.

Assuming I don't destroy my camera tomorrow when trying to mod it : (

The one from Teleskop Express looks great, but it also looks really quite heavy

Archived