Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on moon filters

I'm thinking about buying a moon filter, as I found it quite hard work to look at the moon last night.

Is it worth buying a more expensive moon filter, or will any old moon filter do?

At the moment I'm looking at the skywatcher variable polarizing filter for £30 (note that I haven't shopped around for the best price yet), because I like the idea of being able to adjust to my preference.

I've had my 6" Skywatcher Newtonian for about 3 weeks and am still using the 10 and 25mm super ma EPs that came with it. At some point I'll probably buy better EPs, so is it worth thinking of the future and buying a more expensive (assuming more £££ = better quality) moon filter now?

Are there any better options for £30 out there?

I would like to get a filter/filters but not sure about it all and whether they'll fit my scope or where ever they go. So so new to this.

They screw into the opposite end of the eye piece from the end you look in. First check that your eye piece has an internal thread there, and then buy the approriate sized filter e.g. 1.25" or 2".

Hi Si, the variable is the best one to go for, as you can set the amount of light transmission anything from 1-40% depending on your preferences and the brightness of the Moon on a given night.

[QUO,TE=Si Rollett;2236616]Lost me, am i being think. The dust covers are black and not see though.

On the cover that goes at the top of the ota there are 2 bumps about 2 to 3 " diameter ,one of them will twist off leaving a hole ... so it only lets light in through a smaller aperture, may even improve sharpness on bright objects if you're lucky

personally, I never liked moon filters. I prefer light pollution filters and especially the Baader Neodymium. This also has the advantage of reducing skyglow from the moon and some forms of light pollution and it's a great planetary filter too.

Archived