A few beginner questions

Hello everyone. Hoping to pick your brains a little here. I've been keen on stargazing for a while, but recently I was able to have a look through a scope, and now I'm hooked ;) So, now I'm looking to get my own scope.

What I'd like is a scope which isn't overly bulky, so I've ruled out any big reflectors, in favour of refractors. I'd also like to do a little astrophotography, so from what I've read I should avoid anything too slow.

With this in mind, I've almost settled upon a Skywatcher ED80, on a EQ5, however I have a few concerns.

- Firstly, the cost. I know full well that I'm a beginner, however I fear that if I get less capable gear to begin with, I'll be wanting to replace a few months on. Is there a more suitable scope for me, perhaps a smallish (<= 6") reflector that will give me equivalent views?

- Secondly, the mount. I've read on here that the EQ5 might not be stable enough for astrophotography. The more stable mounts seem to be more than twice the cost, so they're not an option. Is an EQ5 with a polar scope and RA motor going to do the job for AP?

- Thirdly, the eyepieces. While I'd like to do some AP, I'm also going to be looking through it. From my understanding, the ED80 comes with a 2" focuser, and a 28mm 2" eyepiece. I'm planning on getting a couple of higher magnification eyepieces: probably a 20mm and a 6 mm. Are these decent EPs for the ED80? The only ones I can see are 1.25" so I assume an adapter of sorts with be necessary, or does the ED80 focuser support 1.25" EPs somehow?

- Forthly, a Barlow. I'm considering the Skywatcher 2x 2" Barlow. One of the reasons I'm considering this one relates to my previous question; would the 2" to 1.25" adapter that comes with it allow me to use the 1.25" EPs without the Barlow as well as with it?

That's all, for now at least :) I have a few more questions about AP setups and specific EPs, but I'll do a little research before asking.

Thanks!

Hi Kev,

Firstly the ED80 will be great.

Mount - EQ5 standard with battery motors is a no go. However there are a couple of guys here with the EQ5 pro (this has I think, the important guiding port - essential for imaging).

Eyepeices - this is all very personal, as to which make. But to start I had a 20mm & 6mm - just don't get the cheap ones - they won't do you any favours.

Barlow - TBH (other will comment as well), but not worth getting a 2" barlow. Look at a 1.25" 2x (TAL is you can find one).

On the diagional, there will be an adaptor to accept 1.25" eyepeices / barlows - tricky to explain - but don't worry about it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Regarding the mount, I may well consider something else then. While the next step up Skywatcher mount is consderably more, I have just stumbled upon the Celestron CG-5 GT Goto which I'll happily stretch to if it'll give much better results. Does anyone know if they usually come with a polar scope?

As for the Barlow, that could be a useful bit of info. The only down side to a 1.25" Barlow would be that the 2" EP that comes with the scope wouldn't fit, however I could always get a 15mm to fill that gap if I find I need it.

I'll do a little more research into the EPs. I've read good things about the Baader Hyperion zoom EP, but for the same price would I get better views from 2 or 3 decent quality EPs?

* EDIT: Grammar fail.

Firstly the ED80 will be great.

Do you think that this would be a good recommendation for visual astronomy though?

Mount - EQ5 standard with battery motors is a no go.

Even with something a light as an ED80? I have a Megrez72 and am starting to get some half-decent results with just such a setup, I think the main problems I have are polar alignment & focus, which aren't really mount/weight capacity issues. I appreciate that this setup is not ideal for top quality AP, but for a beginner with a limited budget, it has enough merit to make it worth consideration, surely?

The ED80 will be a brilliant scope for astrophotography. Alternatively look at the Altair Astro ED scopes or the Williams Optics Megrez 72 William Optics Megrez 72 ED Doublet Apochromatic Telescope

For the mount either go for -

First Light Optics - Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO Synscan

Or

First Light Optics - Celestron CG-5 GT GOTO

That way if you get one of these mounts now you can always put a heavier OTA on it at a later date.

Then you'll need a guidescope with an autoguider attached of you want to do long exposure AP.

Buy yourself a powertank as well as the GoTo mounts eat AA batteries within an hour at the most.

The Maplin ones are good and only around £40.

Quote: - Forthly, a Barlow. I'm considering the Skywatcher 2x 2" Barlow. One of the reasons I'm considering this one relates to my previous question; would the 2" to 1.25" adapter that comes with it allow me to use the 1.25" EPs without the Barlow as well as with it?

The straight answer is 'yes'. The 2" -1.25" adapter can be used in any 2" focuser without the Barlow, as it is not an integral part of the Barlow, but just an additional fitting that can be used on anything.

This was my imaging set up last year - mostly second hand - I'd recommend the CG5GT Goto over the EQ5 goto cos it's a tad more stable and significantly more functional. Meg72 and 350D plus APT for imaging, ST80 and SPC900NC guiding with Phd, Digifire 7 dew control and SBS bar. It was around thirteen hundred to put together but can be done for about a grand ;)

brantuk-albums-telescopes-picture10843-ir11.jpg

Hope that helps :)

Do you think that this would be a good recommendation for visual astronomy though?

I'd like to get an all-round scope if such a thing exists; as long as its still reasonably compact and easy to carry about, and doesn't involve remortgaging :) However I think I can live with a slightly less capable visual scope, to begin with at least ;)

That way if you get one of these mounts now you can always put a heavier OTA on it at a later date.

Then you'll need a guidescope with an autoguider attached of you want to do long exposure AP.

Buy yourself a powertank as well as the GoTo mounts eat AA batteries within an hour at the most.

The Maplin ones are good and only around £40.

The longer I spend reading, the more I can see myself wanting to try everything, so I suppose a better mount wouldn't be a waste. At the same time I think I might start a little simpler and see how I get on.

The straight answer is 'yes'. The 2" -1.25" adapter can be used in any 2" focuser without the Barlow, as it is not an integral part of the Barlow, but just an additional fitting that can be used on anything.

Thanks, I thought this might be the case, but I wanted to be sure.

This was my imaging set up last year - mostly second hand - I'd recommend the CG5GT Goto over the EQ5 goto cos it's a tad more stable and significantly more functional. Meg72 and 350D plus APT for imaging, ST80 and SPC900NC guiding with Phd, Digifire 7 dew control and SBS bar. It was around thirteen hundred to put together but can be done for about a grand ;)

I take it a guiding scope makes a big difference for the longer exposures? I'm thinking of starting off without one and seeing what results I end up with. The threads in the imaging section have been nicely informative, but I feel some of it goes over my head; getting hands on will probably help with that. From the replies I guess I wouldn't be going too wrong with setup I have mind, and it'll hopefully let me get to grips with imaging before investing in a bit more kit. Thanks again folks!

With the CG5GT Goto it's accurate enough to take unguided long exposures of up to 90secs to 2mins before star trailing starts to creep in bigtime. You can get reasonable results but obviously it is restrictive.

With this set up 9mins is no problem when guiding with Phd (free software) and probably longer. Just 5mins will capture a lot more data which is needed for the kind of pics seen in the imaging section. For me it's the post processing that goes over my head lol ;)

I hope to be able to get out to some nearby clear skies, so hopefully that'll help the shorter exposures. I'm sure it'll be fun either way ;)

The post processing and tracking software is intriging. I think I'll enjoy finding out how that works (or at least trying to!)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've decided to get myself a ST80 for the time being while I work out/save up for what I want to get. I'll be able to use it as a guide scope when I upgrade, so it won't be wasted money, and I'll be able to practice a bit more in the mean time.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first use of the ST80 tonight and it performed fantastically! The clouds had ruined any easter viewing, so I wasn't going to waste this evening. I couldn't travel far enough to escape the light, but the viewing was still reasonable. As I'd not really prepared myself for any viewing tonight, I'd forgotten to do any research into what to look at, so I went by what I could find. The pliedes were a lovely sight, as was Saturn once it appeared over the trees. Can't wait to get out again, to a clearer location and with a better idea of what to look at :D A new mount is still top of the wishlist - the EQ1 was definitely the weakest link. It did nothing but wobble! Anyway, thanks again for the advice guys.

Archived