To refract or reflect?

As someone who has sporadically used an old, rather poor Tasco refractor scope for the past 20 years (teenage birthday present) I feel now is the time to purchase something more useful. But what to choose? Budget approx £250. Want to see the planets with some clarity (rings of saturn, surface of Jupiter) but also wish to make out nebula and galaxies, albeit my expectations are realistic given budget. So, for a good all rounder ... where do I go?

Thanks people. The Dobs keeps coming up as a recommendation, I suppose I was slightly put of by the size and potential lack of potability of it. But will defo check it out now. In my mind I probably have a more traditional view of what a telescope should be.....

The Evostar 102 refractor on an EQ3-2 mount would be about right except that it is £309 (FLO), if you want a refractor. The 90mm Evostars are not that great an increase.

The 200 dobsonians are good but remember that you will need a collimator as well. Would suggest a 150PL if you went down the dobsonian line. Smaller and easier to move round.

For any scope also add in eventually a couple of additional eyepieces.

I would suggest avoiding the short tube refractors, at f/5 they will show a fair degree of CA and this could spoil it all. My opinion maybe not yours.

The Evostar 102 refractor on an EQ3-2 mount would be about right except that it is £309 (FLO), if you want a refractor. The 90mm Evostars are not that great an increase.

The 200 dobsonians are good but remember that you will need a collimator as well. Would suggest a 150PL if you went down the dobsonian line. Smaller and easier to move round.

For any scope also add in eventually a couple of additional eyepieces.

I would suggest avoiding the short tube refractors, at f/5 they will show a fair degree of CA and this could spoil it all. My opinion maybe not yours.

Very little CA on the 120 F5 refractor. Before I got it was expecting to see a fair bit, but was surprised at how little there was and I soon tuned it out.

It will depend on your preference to Spider veins de-fraction on planets if you dont mind them a 200p will be great, otherwise a Maksutov or refractor could be for you.

Personally i cant stand the spikes, they totally ruin the view for me. i would rather less scope for a nicer view

It will depend on your preference to Spider veins de-fraction on planets if you dont mind them a 200p will be great, otherwise a Maksutov or refractor could be for you.

Personally i cant stand the spikes, they totally ruin the view for me. i would rather less scope for a nicer view

I have never noticed spikes while viewing anything, that's from a 36mm EP to a 8.5mm, i do understand using the wrong type of EP will cause this but i can only say for my set-up, and heeding advice form people that know there stuff..;)

Really.. you have never noticed them?

With venus its horrific at best for me, but then i seem to have settled for a,pretty much 0 visual aberation setup so might just be picky :-)

Sent from my AN10G2 using Tapatalk

Archived