Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Hopping with on-the-fly Astrometry

badgers

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we can ask Astrometry.net if they would allow us to distribute windows, macosx or linux compiled binaries.

I could knock up my script into Java and make it into a proper little app that will run on anything.

Now that sounds right up my street, although Im not adverse to learning new stuff and having a bash myself I just think it might all end in tears. Ive got some time off work next week so might give it a bash :D

Maybe we can ask Astrometry.net if they would allow us to distribute windows, macosx or linux compiled binaries.

I could knock up my script into Java and make it into a proper little app that will run on anything.

That would be good. Save reinventing the wheel many times ... And save my little grey cells too! :D

Hi badgers,

Yes I do have it (all indices), I'm behind the http://code.google.com/p/eq-polar-alignment/ project with Themos ;)

Hi Gonzo,

Have you got the astrometry.net software up and running yet ?

That's probably the hardest bit to get working, once that's installed it's really quite quick to get the script solving your images.

I'll post my 'production' script this afternoon.

Hi all,

I'm running on Ubuntu 12.04. The problem I'm getting is that the compile seems to be going ok, but util/makefile.os-features says I don't HAVE_NETPBM. I have made the both changes to lines 325 and 337 of util/Makefile suggested by James on page 2 of this thread, and confirmed they are present. I have checked with apt-get install that both the libnetpbm10-dev and netpbm libraries are in fact installed.

Is this a false negative, or have I in fact missed a step somewhere?

Any ideas?

Hi all,

I'm running on Ubuntu 12.04. The problem I'm getting is that the compile seems to be going ok, but util/makefile.os-features says I don't HAVE_NETPBM. I have made the both changes to lines 325 and 337 of util/Makefile suggested by James on page 2 of this thread, and confirmed they are present. I have checked with apt-get install that both the libnetpbm10-dev and netpbm libraries are in fact installed.

Is this a false negative, or have I in fact missed a step somewhere?

Any ideas?

On Ubuntu 12.04.1 if I extract a copy of astrometry.net-20082, attempt a build, wait for it to fail and then modify util/Makefile the build still doesn't support netpbm. I therefore tried removing util/os-features-config.h and rebuilding, but that just gave an error elsewhere.

The only way I could get it to work was to extract a fresh copy of the source, modify util/Makefile as suggested and then start the build. When I did that it ran straight through from start to finish correctly and whilst I've not tested anything it does look like netpbm support is there.

James

On Ubuntu 12.04.1 if I extract a copy of astrometry.net-20082, attempt a build, wait for it to fail and then modify util/Makefile the build still doesn't support netpbm. I therefore tried removing util/os-features-config.h and rebuilding, but that just gave an error elsewhere.

The only way I could get it to work was to extract a fresh copy of the source, modify util/Makefile as suggested and then start the build. When I did that it ran straight through from start to finish correctly and whilst I've not tested anything it does look like netpbm support is there.

James

Just thought I'd report back here that make ran perfectly after following your steps: HAVE_NETPBM:= YES :) Running make extra now .... ;)

Just thought I'd report back here that make ran perfectly after following your steps: HAVE_NETPBM:= YES :) Running make extra now .... ;)

Well done that man!

I never fully documented the bizarre arcane wizardry I had to go through to make it compile on OSX... I really wish I had.

I did try to compile static libraries so that a standalone binary could be made that others could use without the pain, but had so many issues with all the libraries involved.

I'm very impressed with the astrometry.net system, I get solves from 5 second shots in only 2 or 3 seconds...

Pinpoint astrometry has never worked for me in MaximDL, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Anton

Well, it hasn't all been plain sailing ... I had ti figure out how to install pyfits, then python-dev (no Python.h file present), rebuild it all, add in the index etc etc. Still, I think I'm making progress. When running your starhop.pl script I am now getting the following error message (and no jpg file is written).

root@x1:/media/images# perl bkstarhop.pl

Hexadecimal number > 0xffffffff non-portable at bkstarhop.pl line 93.

Server started, monitoring: /media/images/

Will create astrometry image for new photos

Processing: /media/images//M101020.CR2 to /media/images//M101020_solved.jpg

Read file stdin: 3178 x 4770 pixels x 1 color(s); maxval 255

Using 8-bit output

sh: 1: convert: not found

SOLVED: RA/DEC to 210.9 54.37

Any ideas about that one?

look for a package called imagemagick or similar. Or you could just comment out some lines in starhop.pl like I've done. You comment out lines by having # as the first character on a line. I commented out the lines that call the "convert" program.

Is this not on cygwin then? In any case, starhop.pl calls programs from the ImageMagick package to do some adding of text to images, that's what the ill-named "convert" does.

No, not on Cygwin. I got stuck on an error message I couldn't get to the bottom of, so I started from a clean Ubuntu 12.04 build to see if I could get further, which I have. I haven't got as far as configuring Stellarium yet, just making astrometry.net and a test solve using Antons script.

OK imagemagick is installed finally, the perl script runs ok and a jpg file is created .... and

SUCCESS! Yay! :hello2: This is in Ubuntu only - Cygwin is still a work of progress. I'll be looking at that later ..... :D

post-7246-0-86167600-1348503526_thumb.jp

EDIT: I know it's ever so slightly invisible, but it's M101 in the middle of the picture :D

Archived