NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star Hopping with on-the-fly Astrometry

badgers

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Job modifying the code!

I should really post the production version of the script I'm currently using.

I've removed the constellation plotting with an option so the solves are much quicker and it works with FITS and CR2 files now.

I also have it computing the Rotation Angle, so that you can reset your camera's orientation to match a previous nights imaging.

I haven't found a way to pass the rotation angle directly to the CCD overlay... have you managed this ?

or are you setting it manually ?

by the way, where did you get the doc behind this line

The Stellarium API website had the information buried deep inside, but I also needed some trial and error to get that working, it hasn't failed since.

I'm also very interested in this tool, will test it this week-end if weather permits.

Hi Gonzo,

Have you got the astrometry.net software up and running yet ?

That's probably the hardest bit to get working, once that's installed it's really quite quick to get the script solving your images.

I'll post my 'production' script this afternoon.

I think the protocol you are using is described here, can you confirm?

http://stellarium.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/stellarium/trunk/telescope_server/stellarium_telescope_protocol.txt?view=markup&pathrev=1562

I set the rotation angle of the red sensor rectangle manually (and approximately), good idea on showing it, perhaps it will be useable.

Another improvement would be to scan exif data in the images and if camera and lens are recognized modify the --scale-low --scale-high parameters for a quicker solve.

Hi themos,

Yes I currently manually rotate the sensor rectangle to the rotation value reported (within 1 degree) and it's quite accurate.

Usually If I come back to the same target and match the rotation within 1 degree I get very little image loss after alignment.

I'll look at the occulars code and see if there is a way to automatically rotate the sensor square.

Yes the protocol info came from the sourceforge pages.

It's definitely possible to scan the exifdata with exiftool, I can make this an option if exiftool is in the path and available.

Anton

I'd love to get this up and running, but I wouldn't know where to start, to be honest. I have Ubuntu installed in an Oracle VirtualBox, which runs ok (if a bit slow ... well OK a LOT slow :)). I installed Cygwin, but I have no clue where to go from there! If someone has already written down a sequence of steps for the linux command-line challenged, I'd be very grateful! :)

Archived