NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

zoom eyepieces

freeflyjay

hi all, thinking of getting a zoom eyepiece, the baader hyperion seems to get very good reviews but is quite expensive at £169, i`ve been looking on line and the meade zoom is about 60 quid cheaper and you can get a skywatcher one for about 50 quid, does anyone have any experience with these cheaper zoom lenses and are they any good, now i could afford the skywatcher now the meade maybe but i`d have to check after all the bills, or am i better off saving up for the hyperion?

As with most things astro, you get what you pay for. The cheap zooms are OK but decent individual eyepieces are better. The Baader Hyperion unit comes close in performance to individual eyepieces and being as it will cover the range of several eyepieces, the price tag is quite reasonable. A good zoom is a very convenient item to use, saves swapping eyepieces all the time. ;)

I didnt get on with my zoom eyepiece.

40degree FOV @24mm is odd for a start when you've been used to 60 degree eyepieces.

I found it strange to see the FOV get wider, as the image got closer but darker, all in one step.

Just my opinion of course.

A lot of people like them.

Zoom eyepiece will always be inferior to a fixed eyepiece of equivalent quality. A Baader hyperion zoom will perform better than cheap fixed, and close to the results of fixed Hyperion, but not as good as one. Likewise, a cheap zoom will not perform as well as a cheap fixed focal length eyepiece. You will be better off saving for a Hyperion.

I like using zoom for planets on nights with bad seeing. I can get the planet in he eyepiece at low magnification and then zoom in to get highest usable magnification. When the magnification becomes too high and I begin to loose contrast, I simply turn it back and reduce the magnification. This is much easier than keep swapping eyepieces. Often my zoom will perform better than my fixed focal length eyepieces because the optimum magnification is in between the focal lengths of my eyepiece collection.

i was just reading another post on here about the baader zoom and several people have had them break (they seize up apparently) so thinking the meade may be the way to go, has anyone used one and are they any good?

I've never tried the Meade 8-24mm, but they are the same as the now discontinued Vixen LV 8-24mm and Televue 8-24mm zoom. Judging form reviews online, they are inferior to the Hyperion. The general complains seemed to be lower contrast and more beans.

The Baader didn't get a cult like following for no reason. When a eyepiece is very popular like the Hyperion, you are more likely to hear about defective one. It is true for all equipments.

I just saw that thread. It sounds worrying. I thought it was a one off incident. Now I think I'm mistaken.

The Meade is a old design though, there are other newer designs out there, such as the William Optics / Orion US 7.5-22.5

If you are interested, here is a review for the WO zoom

Astromart Reviews - William Optics Zoom II Eyepiece (7.5mm-22.5mm)

I have a Pentax Zoom 6.5mm - 19.5 mm and I have compared it to my 11mm televue plossl and my Televue 10mm delos. On planets it holds it`s own very well. Similar amount of detail with the added advantage of flexibility, especially on the moon.

Bob

Just buy what one you want from a real shop and not online and take your 6 year fit for purpose warranty, a lot to be gained buying from a high street shop still. HTH

Archived